This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Miley Cyrus proves she is the 21st-century rock star we have been waiting for with her new album, “Attention: Miley Live”.

In Cyrus’s new release, she brings the ultimate live experience to fans, with a medley of new releases, covers, and fan favorites from her previous albums. 

In an official album announcement posted on her Twitter back in March, she said that “I was doing a minimal amount of live shows this year and wanted the maximum amount of fans to experience me live!”

This piece marks the first live album release for the singer, following her critically-acclaimed 2020 pop rock album, “Plastic Hearts”.

The album, at first listen, feels like a meticulously curated playlist of the top points of Cyrus’s career. It helps to signify the evolution she has undergone as an artist, from a squeaky-clean Disney kid, to a singer with a more daring rock sound. 

The first half kicks off with newly-released track “ATTENTION,” which only lasts a little over a minute, but certainly pulls you in with its low techno-dance base and high energy sound. From there, it transitions smoothly into a delightful mashup of party-anthem “We Can’t Stop,”off of Cyrus’s 2013 “Bangerz” album, and “Where Is My Mind?” by the Pixies.

Although there is no clear theme to the album, every track seems to fit so perfectly in its place. In a way, it is a culmination of all the identities that Cyrus has stepped into over the years.

She might not be the same musician she was when these songs were released, but Cyrus is able breathe new life into some of her classic hits, like “Party in the USA” and “7 Things,” giving them a harder sound to fit with her raspy alto voice. 

While paying homage to her own past career, she also takes a moment to deliver some electric covers of the musical icons that have inspired her. Versions of Madonna’s “Like A Prayer,” Janis Joplin’s “Maybe,” and a short snippet of “Bang, Bang” by Nancy Sinatra, serve as some of the best showcases of her talent, proving how easily adaptable she is to most music genres.

Putting aside all the music and strong performances that this album brings to the table, what feels the most special is the atmosphere it is able to create for listeners. When recording the album, Cyrus could have chosen to cut out the crowd noise and speaking parts. Instead, it was woven into the curation of the tracks, serving as a nice surprise to listeners, as it helped them to feel as if they were part of the crowd as she performed. 

There is one point, after her electrifying cover of “Jolene,” where she addresses the crowd directly. In this speech, she speaks upon her hopes for what her shows can signify for fans, being a space where they can be whoever they want and not be expected to “fit into any boundaries”. Although she is speaking about her supporters, these words also feel reflective of the persona she has grown into as a performer. 

In the end, “Attention: Miley Live” is not just an album, but the ultimate signifier of the love that Cyrus has for her fans, who have stuck by her side all this time. 

Lauren Comeau is a senior at Suffolk University with a major in Print and Web Journalism. She is originally from North Reading, MA. At Suffolk, she is a member of the Program Council, hosts her own nighttime radio show, and enjoys writing for the university's chapter of Her Campus. Lauren is an avid movie fan, loves One Direction, and often spends long hours experimenting with new baking recipes.