Anthony Schiavo, Professional Stage Management Intern at Juilliard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

What did you major in at Suffolk?

Theatre major with a concentration in Arts Administration.

What was your favorite course at Suffolk?

“The Art and Artistry of Calling a Show,” with professor Abbie Katz. In this course I learned the fundamental skills needed to run large opera and dance productions, which was a brand new experience for me, and has prepared me for work on such productions at Juilliard and beyond.

What was your favorite part about studying at Suffolk?

Within the Suffolk University Theatre Department, I’ve had the opportunity to work on a number of productions with directors/designers from the Boston area, in addition to Suffolk’s own theatre artists. This experience has advanced my networking skills and has taught me how to adapt to differing styles and working environments.

What sparked your interest in stage management?

Having been interested and involved in theatre since the 8th grade, I have always been specifically curious about the process of creation, rather than the performance itself. I began my Suffolk career taking Arts Administration and Stage Management courses, and was eventually assigned to stage manage Forever, Briefly, Suffolk Theatre Department’s Fall 2010 production in the C. Walsh Theatre. It was through this production that I became interested in stage management and I have been doing it ever since.

Who is your biggest career inspiration?

Michael Ferraro, who introduced me to the arts 9 years ago. Also Suffolk Professor, Mentor and Stage Manager, Abbie Katz, who has taught me everything I know about the job itself and who has given me the skills needed to make a career out of this.

What has been the most challenging point in your career thus far?

Transitioning into the new lifestyle has been a challenge. This career is quite the opposite of a traditional 9AM-5PM job; generally my hours are 3PM-11:30PM, 6 days a week. Another challenge would be constantly adapting to very different work environments and styles with directors and production teams, since each month (or so) I am working on a new production or project with a new group of people.

If you could live in one city in the entire world where would it be?

Considering the opportunities and the fact that it’s my home base, I would choose to live and work in New York City. However, an ultimate career goal of mine is to travel to other cities by working on touring productions, and I am specifically interested in London’s West End!

Tell us a bit about the program you will be a part of at Juilliard?

The Professional Internship Program at The Juilliard School offers Technical Theater internships in Wardrobe, Electrics, Props, Scenic Painting, Stage Management, and Wigs and Makeup, as well as Administrative internships including Orchestra Management and Vocal Arts. All of these internships give young professionals the chance to work hands-on in their respective fields with professional technicians, administrators, and artists. The 8-month intensive program offers a chance to approach our careers realistically, by developing good habits, refining our interpersonal skills and by living and working in New York City. In my opinion, this is the best way to dive right in and determine whether or not this career is the right choice or not.

What are you looking forward to the most while attending Juilliard?

I am looking forward to opening myself up to new experiences like stage managing music and orchestra concerts, events, dance shows, dramas, and assisting on large-scale operas. I am also excited to network with professionals in the New York area, and to be an essential part of the creative process with the actors, singers, and dancers of Juilliard.

Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.