Alumni Diaries: Alexandra Van Horne

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

With spring break behind us, and the semester closing in on us, it’s hard to believe how fast the school year went. It feels like just weeks ago we were moving our belongings into our new homes and preparing for an exciting school year. While most of us are looking forward to a few more awesome years at Suffolk, the senior class is preparing for graduation. So, what is next for the Suffolk class of 2012? Whether it is attending graduate school, starting a new job, or moving to a whole new place, it is going to be a whole new adventure for these graduates.

To get a first hand perspective of this crazy time in the lives of college seniors, I spoke with Suffolk University alumnae, Alexandra Van Horne. Her interview provides insight on her departure from Boston, and explains how attending Suffolk has prepared her for the next stage of life.

When did you graduate from Suffolk?
I graduated in January 2011 with a Bachelor of Science in Sociology.

What activities did you take part in at Suffolk?
I was the Vice President of Theta Phi Alpha. I was also a member of S.U.P.E.R’s, which is a peer-education group, focused on educating Suffolk students about potential health issues.

What were some of your favorite parts about Suffolk?
My favorite part about Suffolk was the location, because that is what made me choose the school in the first place. I loved that the city of Boston was practically my backyard, and living on Suffolk’s campus helped me become more comfortable living in an urban environment. I made great friends from all over the country that I know I will stay in touch with forever. In addition, during my time at Suffolk, I was lucky enough to spend a summer in Madrid, which I will never forget. Living in Madrid was truly one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

What did it feel like to finally graduate?
Graduating for me was unbelievable. Although I graduated in January, I had to wait to walk with my class in May. I had the degree framed, but the reality of graduating did not hit me until I was up on the stage shaking everyone’s hands.

Looking back, what did being a student at Suffolk mean to you?
Being a student at Suffolk taught me a lot about myself. Being alone in a city, without my family, forced me to mature very quickly; I was living on my own and cooking my own meals. Given the choice, I would definitely do it again.

What are you currently doing with your Suffolk degree?
I am currently pursuing a Master of Science in Occupaitonal Therapy at Sacred Heart University.

Stephanie is the Business Development Coordinator at Her Campus Media . A graduate of Suffolk University, Stephanie held the position of secretary at the HC Suffolk chapter and lived the real life "Pitch Perfect" as business manager of her a cappella group the Suffolk Ramifications. Before joining the Her Campus team, Stephanie held positions in experiential marketing and public relations. In her free time you can find her with family & friends, sitting with a good book, getting stressed out over football & hockey or hunting down the best gluten free food Boston has to offer. 
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.