A&E’s “Breaking Boston” Cancelled After Just One Episode

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Breaking Boston is an A&E “docudrama” featuring four working class women trying to go against the odds. The show’s executive producer is Boston’s own Mark Wahlberg, who says he mirrored the show off of his own life and experiences in Boston.

The show premiered on March 13 at 10 PM. The first episode introduced you to the four leading ladies, Courtney, Kristina, Noelle, and Val. Courtney, a single mom, wants to go to beauty school, but finds out that she needs to get her GED. Val, who has a criminal record, goes on an interview for an internship with one of the richest women in Boston. Meanwhile, Kristina and Noelle deal with their wary boyfriends.  

After just one episode, A&E decided to remove the show from their programming. They cited underperformance as the reason, with only 311,000 viewers in total. This is a major difference from the 3.3 million people that watched Mark’s other show, Wahlburgers, in the first week.

They have yet to say what they will do with the remaining unaired episodes. The show’s stars have taken to Twitter to tell fans not to fear. They are hopeful that A&E will release all episodes in some manner.

Media student who loves pop culture and is almost always thinking about Harry Styles.
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.