5 Books to Read this Fall by Female Authors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Imagine this: you walk into a book store and walk down the aisles picking up books that look interesting. Maybe you’re in the non-fiction section looking at that new autobiography that has been getting excellent reviews. Or you’re in the fiction section looking at that series that Netflix is adapting. Whatever catches your eye, we can all agree that there are so many genres and books out there that you’re bound to find one that interests you. If you’re like me, sometimes there are too many books that you want to read. Here’s a challenge for you. How many of the books you read are written by female authors? I’ve found more recently that female authors are pigeon-holed and labeled as ‘romance’ novelists. As much as I love a good book about love (Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen being an all-time favorite of mine), there are so many novels written by talented women that are not romance novels. There happen to be stories out there about women that do not involve a romantic relationship. So, as the weather turns colder and you want to curl up under a blanket with a good book, here are my recommendations for five reads by female authors that everyone must read!

1. Lady Clementine by Marie Benedict (Historical Fiction)

This was one of my favorite books that I’ve read in 2020 so far. Benedict brings Clementine Churchill, Winston Churchill’s wife (and closest advisor), to life in such an empowering way. We get insight into her political mind and her passion for public service at a time when women were not political figures. When I first started reading this book, I knew very little about the powerhouse that was Clementine Churchill. Benedict often brings important women’s stories to life as her other novels featured influential figures like Hedy Lamarr, Mileva Maric, and Agatha Christie. 

2. The Philosopher Queens edited by Rebecca Buxton and Lisa Whiting (Non-fiction)

When I say “List as many philosophers as you can,” who do you come up with? You’ll probably list the philosophers you’ve been taught in history and introductory philosophy courses like Aristotle, Plato, and Socrates. How many female philosophers can you name off the top of your head? Even though I am studying philosophy at university, I could only name one before reading this book. In a collection of shorter pieces, all edited together by Buxton and Whiting (philosophy queens in their own right) and written by other female minds, you can learn all about some of the greatest female philosophical minds. Women from all sorts of different backgrounds from all periods of history are included in this book. Honestly, it was super entertaining and the illustrations are fantastic.

3. Normal People by Sally Rooney (Psychological Fiction)

I know I said that I wouldn’t include a book about relationships or romance, but I would argue that this book does not fall into the ‘romance’ category. Rooney’s incredibly acclaimed novel tackles two Irish young adults’ relationships as they make their way through young adulthood. Normal People was adapted into a miniseries currently on Hulu under “Romance” but I would disagree. The novel tackles the complicated relationship between Connell and Marianne, but also sheds perspective on abuse, mental health, and friendship. Rooney writes a frank and slightly disturbing account of the reality of growing up. I enjoyed this novel’s brilliance but will caution those who read it as it does have some extremely graphic and possibly triggering scenes.

4. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (Mystery, Fiction)

The second book on our list to be adapted into a limited series, this mystery novel was written by Australian author Liane Moriarty, departs significantly from the award-winning HBO series. While the HBO series stars Shanliee Woodley, Laura Dern, Nicole Kidman, and Reese Witherspoon as mothers living in wealthy Monterey, California, this novel takes place on the Australian coast. This novel left me on the edge of my seat, continually second-guessing my intuition and had me sucked in until the end, while still having so many brilliantly written and complex female characters.

5. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (Fiction)

In my opinion, no list of books by female authors is quite complete without paying homage to Louisa May Alcott herself. Little Women is a classic novel that perfectly encaptures female friendship and independence for women of all ages. The March women are relatable, and the story is timeless. Whether you identify as a Jo, Amy, Beth, Meg, or Marmee, this novel is incredible feminist writing. This is another novel that tends to be overly romanticized or labeled a ‘girls’ book, but this book is first and foremost a tale about four women coming of age. It’s a perfect comfort read and perfect for quiet fall nights.

Bronwyn Crick

Suffolk '23

Bronwyn Crick is a senior at Suffolk University majoring in Politics, Philosophy, and Economics (PPE). She is originally from Vail, Colorado. In addition to Her Campus, Bronwyn enjoys being a part of the Suffolk F1 club and is a Ram Supporter, helping first-year Suffolk Students adjust to life at Suffolk. She enjoys reading and painting, as well as exploring new places.
Lauren Comeau is a senior at Suffolk University with a major in Print and Web Journalism. She is originally from North Reading, MA. At Suffolk, she is a member of the Program Council, hosts her own nighttime radio show, and enjoys writing for the university's chapter of Her Campus. Lauren is an avid movie fan, loves One Direction, and often spends long hours experimenting with new baking recipes.