Step Up Your Halloween With These DIY Makeup Looks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STU (CA) chapter.

It’s a collegiette’s favourite time of year – Halloween!  Looking to amp up your look this year?  Try one of these DIY makeup looks with your costume!

Look #1: The Dude

What You’ll Need:
  • Eyeshadow/foundation two shades darker than your skin
  • An eyebrow pencil that matches your hair color
  • Foundation brush
  • Hairspray
How To Get the Look:

Take your foundation brush and apply your eyeshadow under your cheek bones, on the sides of your forehead, on both sides of your nose, and anywhere you want to have “facial hair.” Then, blend it into your skin (so that there are no distinct lines where the shadow starts).

Next take your eyebrow pencil and fill in your eyebrows so they are thick and dark (don’t shape them or make them even, they should look bushy). Still using the eyebrow pencil, draw little hairs wherever you want facial hair For example, I have a beard, mustache, and side burns.

Finally, hairspray and tease the front of your hair before putting it into a ponytail. 

Look #2: The Zombie

What You’ll Need:
  • Black and purple eyeshadow
  • Red lipstick
  • Foundation
  • Blush brush
  • White glue
  • Toilet paper
  • Cotton swabs
How To Get the Look:

First, apply your regular foundation to your whole face (be sure to cover your lips, too).

Next, apply the glue to areas where you want to have wounds, and press crumpled toilet paper to the areas with glue. Once glue has dried, rip the toilet paper until the wounds have a shape you like (use more glue if the edges of the toilet paper become unstuck). Once the wounds are shaped, cover them in foundation, blending them in with your skin.

Now take the eyeshadow and apply black and purple to create bruising around eyes, in hairline, around wounds, and in any other areas where you would like bruises.

Finally, using a cotton swab apply lipstick to wounds, inside of lips, and any other areas you would like blood.  If you like, you can use fake blood in place of lipstick.

Look #3: The Comic Book Girl 

What You’ll Need:
  • Red lipstick
  • White and blue eyeshadow
  • Black liquid eyeliner
  • Foundation
  • Cotton swabs
How To Get the Look:

First, apply a thick layer of foundation to completely even out skin tone. Next, apply white eyeshadow to eye ids, and liquid liner around eyes (you want to line your eye as well as the crease in your eyelid).

Now using the same liner, create a bold eyebrow that has a distinct arch. It’s important to do this first, so you don’t smudge the dots.

Now you apply the dots; using a cotton swab apply dots of red lipstick evenly over entire face and neck. Apply the lipstick to lips as well.

Next, outline your hairline, jaw line, nose, lips, and ears with the liquid liner. To finish, apply blue eyeshadow underneath one eye and outline with liner to create a teardrop.

Look #4: The Skeleton

What You’ll Need:
  • Foundation a shade lighter than your skin-tone
  • White and black eyeshadow
  • Black eyebrow pencil
  • Eyeshadow brush
  • Blush brush
How To Get the Look:

To start, apply foundation to face and neck (be sure to cover your lips).

Next, cover face and neck with white eye shadow. Using your eyebrow pencil, create an outline around eyes, nose, hollows of cheeks, and neck; then fill in outline with the black eye shadow.

Use the pencil to make teeth across lips, add details around eyes, and add details to neck. 

Look #5: The Mermaid/Fish

What You’ll Need:
  • Blue, white, and orange eyeshadow
  • Foundation
  • Mascara
  • Black eyeliner
  • Cotton swabs
  • Blush brush
  • A fishnet stocking
How To Get the Look:

First, cover face in foundation, and then in white eyeshadow.

Next, pull the fishnet stocking over your head. Using the blush brush, apply blue eyeshadow over top of the fishnet stocking; apply to forehead, cheek bones, and jaw line. Outline lips in orange eye shadow and fill in with blue eye shadow. Then, carefully remove the stocking.

Apply blue eyeshadow to the center of eyelids, apply orange eyeshadow to corners of eyelids and on the lower eyelid (I also added three orange dots under my eye). Finally, line eyes with black liner and apply mascara (false eyelashes would look great too if you have any!). 

Keep checking Her Campus STU for more Halloween makeup looks!