Pi Alpha Gamma: STU Goes Greek!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STU (CA) chapter.

When most people think of a college sorority, they usually imagine something from the silver screen.  A gaggle of girls clad Juicy Couture sweats and Uggs, with a Starbucks Frappuccino in their freshly manicured hands.

“As with any stereotype, there is usually a small kernel of truth to popular portrayals of sorority life,” says Katelyn Rushton, the founder and president of STU’s Pi Alpha Gamma sorority.  “Do we enjoy Pinterest, drinking Starbucks, shopping and going out together?  Yes, most of us do.”

However, Katelyn says there’s more to Greek life than meets the eye.  A Pi Alpha Gamma sister isn’t just a stereotype.  She’s a dedicated scholar, a community leader, and a relentless dream chaser.

Pi Alpha Gamma was founded by Katelyn with her friends, Valerie Foulem and Elizabeth Strange, in October 2011. 

“Elizabeth and Val were some of the first people I met on campus and have been my closest friends ever since,” says Katelyn.  “I guess part of why we started Pi Alpha Gamma was in the hope that other students could experience the same kind of friendship we have found in each other.”

Elizabeth, Katelyn & Valerie, the Founding Mothers of Pi Alpha Gamma.

The three friends chose to found their own sorority, rather than colonizing an existing organization.  Katelyn spent a year researching Greek life traditions and rituals in order to give St. Thomas girls a similar sorority experience.

Pi Alpha Gamma is unique in that it’s one of the few sororities in the Maritimes, adding to Canada’s growing Greek network.  However, don’t expect it to look like Elle Woods’ Delta-Nu!

“A lot of people think of sororities in Texas when they think of the typical sorority girl, but Canadian sorority women are rather similar to those in Michigan or any of the northern states,” says vice-president Elizabeth Strange.  “We have all the same traditions and share aspects of rituals, but I suppose we go about them in a more laid-back and modern way.”

While sororities down south may accept up to 80 girls a year, most Canadian sisterhoods accept between five and 30 new members.  Though everything is done on a smaller scale, Katelyn says its realistic for a small school like STU.

Pi Alpha Gamma emphasizes academics and community involvement.  Among some of the sisters’ accomplishments are making the Dean’s List, working at an autism centre, and volunteering for the Fredericton Sexual Assault Crisis Centre.

“There are certain traits we look for in potential sisters,” says Katelyn.  “Basically, we are looking for well-rounded and engaging young women.”

So, at the end of the day, why go Greek?  Katelyn says there are many benefits to being a Pi Alpha Gamma sister.

“Sororities combine aspects of other campus organizations [such as] academics, social, philanthropy, into one, creating a more well-rounded experience,” she says.  “They can provide amazing personal and professional support networks and solidify life-long friendships with people you may have never met otherwise.”

Member Cecilia Asbridge says rushing was one of the best decision’s she’s made at STU.

“I don’t think my university experience would be half as awesome if it weren’t for my Pi Alpha Gamma sisters,” says Cecilia.  “As sisters we support each other, so you’ll always have a shoulder to cry on or [someone to] answer the phone at 3:00 AM… It’s like another family away from home.”

Emma Chapple is a journalism major at St. Thomas University. She is the founding Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus STU.  In addition to HC, Emma also runs her own blog within the Her Campus Blogger Network, and contributes to several online publications.If you want to work with Emma, you can contact her at emmachapple57@gmail.com.