Stephanie on all Things Musical

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

When/Why did you start taking an interest in music ?

I’ve always been interested in music. I can’t actually remember a time when I wasn’t. I just remember the really long wait until I was big enough to hold a clarinet!

How many instruments do you play?

I started playing the clarinet then the saxophone. I played guitar for a while but it wasn’t really for me. Then I got a flute and a piccolo, they became my first study instruments. I did try the piano but I hated it! 

Were you involved with any bands?

I have been involved in far too many bands. Orchestras, concert bands, celtic bands and jazz bands! 

Did you do any exams ?

I was studying for my diploma in music performing but I’ve had to put it off for now, I couldn’t put as much time to it as I wanted with uni and work, but I’m hoping to finish it next year at some point.

Has music helped you in any other aspect of your life?

Music has helped me become so much more confident. From joining so many different music groups I have met so many new people. I also used to teach flute which helped to learn to be a bit more patient with people.

Any advice for anyone thinking of learning to play an instrument?

I would say if your thinking of learning an instrument, don’t give up straight away. It takes a bit of time and even if you don’t feel confident enough or at the right level, go out and find ensembles/bands, playing and rehearsing with other people gives you a bit of a boost and you can get lots of tips from others.

Carly Ramsay3rd Year Undergraduate StudentStudying Geography and Law