Let’s Talk Studying Abroad With Caitlin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

Name: Caitlin Connolly

Course: BA Honours International Business 

So Caitlin, last semester you were on exchange at Concordia University in Canada. Could you sum up the experience in 3 words? 

It was eye-opening, fun and memorable. 

What other places did you visit while you were on exchnage? 

I travelled to New York twice, Boston, Toronto, Niagra Falls and Ottawa. 

What has been your funniest travelling experience? 

When my friend and I travelled to New York we took 2 large suitcases with us for a 3 day trip. When we showed up to meet the others we were going with, they thought we were absolutely crazy, however we then explained we planned on doing a lot of shopping in Sephora! 

Have you had any bad travelling experiences? 

My friend and I went on a day trip to Ottawa to meet some other friends and had our bus booked home for 10.30pm. When we arrived at the bus station, it was totally deserted so we thought something was wrong. We were then informed that the bus service which we chose did not actually run the service which we had booked and the next bus home was not until 2am! As you can probably imagine, we were extremely annoyed having been up since 6am, so this was probably my worst travelling experience to date!

What are your top 5 packing essential for a weekend trip?

GoPro camera, a pair of comfy shoes, multi-currency travel card, sunglasses, portable phone charger 

Have you ticked anything off your bucket list during your exchange?

One thing that comes to mind is visitng Niagra Falls and taking a boat ride down the falls. I remember learning about it in Geography when I was school, so it was a surreal moment actually being there and I still can’t believe I have actually done it! 

What did you miss most about home?

My family, my beloved dog, my friends, my car, Galaxy chocolate, Irn Bru and Chinese Food! 

Make sure to follow @HerCampusStrath on Twitter and Instagram and Like our Facebook page!

I'm Marjorie, studying towards a BA Hons Degree in International Business. I have always lived in Glasgow and love what it has to offer in terms of shopping, restaurants and nightlife! In September 2016, I embarked on my international exchange to Milan, Italy for 4 months which I absolutely loved!! Studying abroad allowed me to meet some lovely new friends, taste delicious food and visit beautiful lakes and cities nearby. I love going out with friends, getting dressed up, trying new things and meeting new people!