The Green Goodness Hype: 3 Ways to enjoy the benefits of Matcha Green Tea

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

Matcha Green Tea has got to be (by a long shot) the best discovery I have made this year. Disclaimer: you may suffer from addiction; running to your nearest fuel bar to get your green goddess fix as soon as your class is over becomes somewhat second nature. Seriously though, this stuff tastes so good that I just have to share other ways you can add this magic powder into everyday recipes!

First of all, here are a few facts about Matcha so you know exactly what this organic Japanese tea is and why it is so good for you. Matcha green tea (a loose powder tea) is grounded up whole green tea leaves; this increases its antioxidant properties that you would normally lose out on from drinking your regular bagged green tea. Studies have shown that the antioxidant benefits of drinking just one cup of Matcha green tea are equivalent to drinking ten cups of your regular brewed green tea.

My Matcha!

1: Smoothies

My go-to Matcha Fix has got to be my morning Matcha smoothie!  Everyone knows that eating a balanced diet is key to sustaining your energy throughout the day; however, a lot of people tend to miss out on breakfast. This is totally understandable when rushing to a 9am lecture, spin class, or even if you are simply running late for work. My go-to smoothie is perfect for days where I don’t have time to spend making something more substantial for breakfast, and it will defo keep you going till lunch!

Recipe: (after a lot of messing about and experimenting)

• 200 ml milk – of choice. I use non-sweetened almond milk, you could also use soya for another dairy free option. Coconut is also a good choice.   
  • ½ Frozen Banana (I always use frozen bananas, it tends to make the smoothies creamier and you don’t have to add additional ice)
  • Handful of spinach I know what you’re thinking, but I promise you wont taste it!
  • I Scoop Vanilla Whey Protein Powder (Optional) I use PHD Diet Whey (you could also use soya, hemp or any other protein powder of your choice).
  • 1 tsp of Matcha

Although this is my favourite combination, I know a lot of people don’t use protein powders, so here is another fantastic recipe you could try:

• 1 large banana, (frozen)
  • 1 1/4 cups watermelon, frozen
  • 3/4 -1 cup soy milk
  • 1 tsp chia seeds (optional)
  • 1/2 – 1 tsp matcha powder

Recipe from kblog.lunchboxbunch.com

2 : Matcha Latte

Although my obsession with matcha smoothies has never faded, the colder months do bring out my cravings for a nice warm cuppa.

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, soy milk, rice milk, or cow’s Milk
  • 1 teaspoon matcha powder
  • Agave syrup (I used honey instead)

Directions

1. Bring 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, soy milk, rice milk, or cow’s milk to a bare simmer in a small pot over medium-high heat.
  2. Place 1 teaspoon matcha powder in a heatproof cup. Slowly whisk in 1/4 cup boiling water, then almond milk, tipping cup slightly to help create more foam. Sweeten with Agave syrup.

Recipe from www.bonappetit.com

3.  Matcha Cupcake

Get your bake on with these tasty cupcakes!

Ingredients
Green Tea Cupcakes:

• 2 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1-teaspoon salt
  • 1-cup milk
  • 1/2-cup vegetable oil
  • 3 tablespoons matcha (green tea) powder
  • 2 teaspoons almond extract
  • 2 eggs
  • Green Tea Buttercream Frosting
  • 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1-tablespoon matcha (green tea) powder

Directions

1. For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with 24 cupcake liners.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until thoroughly blended.
  3. Whisk together the milk and oil, and add to the dry ingredients. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Add the matcha powder, almond extract and eggs and beat again for 2 minutes on medium speed. Pour the batter into the pans, filling three-quarters of the way full. Bake until cakes test done, about 15 minutes. Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
  4. For the buttercream: Place the butter in the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Add one-third of the sugar and blend well. Add in the remaining sugar one-third at a time, blending well between each addition. Add in the milk and matcha powder and beat until light and fluffy.

Recipe from:  http://www.foodnetwork.com 

Picture Credits

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com
http://www.quaintliving.com
http://www.butterfingers.co.za

Carly Ramsay3rd Year Undergraduate StudentStudying Geography and Law