Clubs Executive Member Kate Dreiblathena

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

What is your role as a Clubs Executive Member? 

My role as a clubs executive member, as every other member, is to help clubs and societies reach their full potential and provide support for them, to put it in a simple way. We are also responsible for distributing funds for clubs, affiliating new clubs and soon we all our starting a new inovation for executives, within which we will each support one of the society typed in the Union, mine being course related clubs and societies. It is a really responsible job, being an executive, but it also is really enjoyable and gives you a good insight on how things are run in the union.

Why did you decide to take on the role as a Club Executive Member?

The reason why I decided to become a clubs executive is because I believe that by supporting our clubs and societies, we support and develop the Union itself. Clubs and socities play a crucial part in the Union and I found it interesting to firstly get to know this institution better and secondly give an input in its development by developing and supporting clubs and societies.

Have you always been involved with the Clubs and Societies throughout your time at Strathclyde?

I started my studies here in 24th of September, 2012, if I remember correctly, and by 1st of October of 2012, I was already a volunteer. I was elected as Vice-President of Birkbeck Court in Halls Committee and later on the year I was a Class Rep. I believe that getting into volunteering means you get the most out of your university life, 4 years is not a lot, however it is never too late to start, even if you volunteer once in the last few months of your 4th year, you can gain a life-changing expirience.

Have you always played an active role in the Union?

I started to play an active role in the Union this year, as last year I focused on the Halls Committee and it provided me with the insight of what the Union has to offer. Therefore this year I have taken part in some of the Union activities such as a member of the welcome team, attending STAR skills workshops, forums and getting involved – I try to look at the opportunities at www.strathstudents.com daily. The ‘upcoming events’ can always be a place to find interesting activities to join.

Why do you feel its important for students to get involved not only in Clubs and Societies but also in the Union itself?

Firstly, volunteering gives you a chance to meet likeminded people, even if you are an International Student as I am. You get to make new friends and have opportunities that can develop you as a person and as a future employee. Secondly, it gives you a chance to learn transferable skills. For example, if you learn how to organise a LARPING event  (live action role playing game), you might not think it would be relevant in your career in the future, however, you learn how to coordinate events, how to get possible sponsors or even as simple as trying to get people who would want to participate – communicating, sending emails, making phone calls – it is all about pushing your comfort zone a tiny bit further, and I think the Union is the perfect starting point.

For anyone thinking of getting involved what do you suggest is the best way to go about it? 

The best way to get active in the Union would firstly be going to 90 John Street and pop on to level 7 – this will allow you to realize how friendly and approachable the staff there are. If you don’t really want to do that, go towww.strathstudents.com/GetInvolved/ and see what the Union has to offer already. You will discover that there are plenty of ordinary and extraordinary clubs, sports clubs and other possibilities to get involved with – find what suits you the most and get in contact with people who are already in it – drop an email or go to one of their meetings and see if it is something you might enjoy. If you don’t, try something else – it is all about exploring the possibilities and finding what suits you the best. The best part is, if you cannot find a suitable thing – make one! Chances are that if you are interested in LARPING there are at least 10 more students who are interested in that as well – then just go to level 7 and they will help you and advise you on creating the most suitable opportunity exactly for you.