6 Reasons to Love Getting Organised with Google Calendar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

For many of us collegiettes, organisation (sadly) doesn’t seem to come naturally. We’ve been given advice on creating study schedules, using diaries, downloading apps, setting alarms… But nothing seems to work in the long-term!

Now, though, we think we’ve cracked the case. Introducing Google Calendar: your new best friend.

Available both online and as a phone application, there are loads of smart and easy-to-use features on this app that are sure to keep you above deadlines and on time for everything!

1.       Multiple calendars

This feature is great for splitting up your university and personal events! It allows you to create calendars for all different parts of your life. You could create separate university and work schedules, and use another calendar as a planner to make sure your assignments are completed on time!

You can also see events from all your calendars at the same time, or you can choose which ones to hide and see at any point.

2.       Tasks list

View your ‘Tasks’ calendar for an easy-access to-do-list which allows you to cross off each item as you do it. This is really useful for planning your day and making use of time you didn’t even know you had!

3.       Colour coding

This feature is especially helpful when making university schedules, as you can assign a different colour to each class. It’s also useful for personal commitments, for example you could assign pink to fun events and red to appointments you MUST attend!

4.       Notifications

Set notifications and alarms a certain amount of time before your event takes place to remind you where you’ve to be in plenty of time! Very useful for waking up in time for lectures. You could also use this feature to set a notification a week before a project is due to avoid last-minute all-nighters to get the work done!

5.       Syncing

Not only does this app sync automatically between your phone calendar, phone application and computer, Facebook events and birthdays can also be synced easily to Google Calendar to ensure all your events are in one place.

6.       Sharing

Trying to make a date with a friend but can’t seem to find a time when you’re both free? Send them your calendar! They’ll be able to check your calendar against their own free time and negotiate a time you’re both available.

Another great sharing feature on this app is the ability to create a shared calendar with multiple friends. This could make meeting up with friends with busy and varied schedules a lot easier!

We hope you’re as excited about using this app as we are – here’s to being organised for life!