This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

Halloween might be over this year, but the health benefits of pumpkins are here to stay. Although you can scoop out and roast the seeds from your carved pumpkin, there are plenty of other ways to add this super food into your daily diet. Canned pumpkin can be added to almost anything, if you are going to go for a fresh pumpkin just place a cleaned out pumpkin in the microwave for around 6 mins and scoop out the insides, easy peasy!

Now you have no excuse here is our top 5 favourite pumpkins inspired recipes.

1- Pumpkin Protein smoothie 
Perfect for protein powder addicts! 

Ingredients:

•       1/3 c. canned pumpkin

•       1 scoop All the Whey cup cake batter protein powder (you can substitute with vanilla protein powder)

•       1 frozen banana

•       5 ice cubes

•       1/2 c. milk

•       1.5 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

Method:
Simply add all ingrediants into food proccessor/ Blender
Recipe from : www.pbfingers.com

[pagebreak]

2- Pumpkin Porridge
Ideal for those cold mornings when you fancy some comfort food with a twist

Ingredients:

•       1 cup (240 ml) of your favorite  whole grain cereal (simple flavors like Corn Flakes, Crispy Brown Rice, Buckwheat and Hemp, Quinoa and Chia work best; my favorite was corn flakes)

•       1/3 cup (80 ml) pure unsweetened pumpkin puree (canned is fine)

•       1 tsp (5 ml) cinnamon

•       8-10 drops plain or vanilla stevia liquid or 1 Tbsp agave nectar or maple syrup

•       3/4 – 1 cup (180-240 ml) unsweetened almond, soy, hemp or rice milk, as needed
INSTRUCTIONS

Method:
Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor or blender and blend until smooth (for a more textured porridge, use a food processor and stop before perfectly smooth). It should be thick but not watery, like a thick cake batter.

Transfer to a small pot and stir over medium-low heat just until heated through. Serve immediately with additional milk, if desired.
Recipe from : www.attunefoods.com

[pagebreak]

3- Pumpkin pancakes 
Anyone who knows me, or follows me on IG, knows fine well that I am obssessed with pancakes! These pumpkin inspired pancakes are perfect for cold autum Sunday mornings! 
Prep time, 10 minutes Cook time 15 minutes

If you do not have pumpkin spice mix at home, combine 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon, 2 teaspoons Ground Ginger, 1/2 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg to make 2 tablespoons of mix. For the recipe below, you will need 2 teaspoons of that mix, leaving you with just over a tablespoon for next time.

Yield: 4-6
Ingredients:

•    1 3/4 cups milk

•    1 cup pumpkin puree

•    1 egg

•    2 tablespoons vegetable oil

•    2 cups all purpose flour

•    3 tablespoons brown sugar

•    2 teaspoons baking powder

•    1 teaspoon baking soda

•    2 teaspoons pumpkin spice mix

•    1/2 teaspoon salt

Method:

1. In a large bowl, combine the milk, pumpkin puree, egg and oil.

2. In another large bowl, stir the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin spice mix and salt until well blended.

3. While stirring, slowly add the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture until blended; try not to over mix the batter. As soon as you see large clumps of flour disappear, stop stirring.

4. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Add about a ¼ cup of batter for one pancake onto the griddle. Brown on both sides and serve hot with warm maple syrup and butter.

Recipe from: www.inspiredtaste.net

[pagebreak]

4- Pumpkin Mug cake

Fancy something quick? This 2 minute Pumpkin Coffee Cake in a Mug is great when your in a rush! 

Ingredients:

•    1 Tbsp butter

•    2 tbsp sugar

•    2 tbsp pumpkin puree

•    vanilla extract, few drops

•    1/4 C All Purpose flour

•    1/8 tsp baking powder

•    pinch of salt

•    pinch of ground cloves

•    1 tbsp butter

•    2 tbsp flour

•    1 tbsp brown sugar

•    1/4 tsp cinnamon

Method:

1. In a mug soften 1 tbsp of butter in microwave, about 5 seconds. You don’t want it melted, just soft. Stir in 2 tbsp of sugar and mix until well incorporated. Stir in pumpkin, vanilla (just a tiny bit, we’re talking drops), flour, baking powder, and pinch of salt and cloves; stirring until just combined. Use the back of your spoon to smooth it out in the bottom of the mug.
  2. Want a topping? Of course you do! In a separate, small bowl, combine 1 tbsp of butter, 2 tbsp of flour, 1 tbsp of brown sugar, and 1/4 tsp cinnamon. Use your fingers to to pinch the butter and mix it in with the other ingredients. When it starts to look like lumpy sand (appetizing, eh?) and all ingredients are combined, pour on top of cake batter in mug.
  3. Cook in the microwave for 50-80 seconds depending on your microwave. At 1 minute, my microwave cooks it perfectly. It will look just barely set on top. You don’t want to overcook it and things tend to get ugly fast in the microwave. I suggest cooking it 50 seconds, and then in 10 second intervals checking after each interval until done. Eat white it’s still warm. Once it cools off, it tends to loose some of it’s magic!

Recipe from: www.heatherlikesfood.com

[pagebreak]

5- Pumpkin Bites

Easy pumpkin bars, great to take with you on the go. Library snacking at its best! 

Makes 12
Ingredients:

•    1/2 cup all-purpose flour

•    1/2 cup whole-wheat flour

•    2 teaspoons cinnamon

•    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

•    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

•    1 teaspoon baking powder

•    1/2 teaspoon baking soda

•    1/2 teaspoon salt

•    2 large eggs

•    2/3 cup dark brown sugar

•    1 cup canned pumpkin purree

•    1/4 cup fat-free milk (or almond or soy milk)

•    1/4 cup (1/2 stick) light butter, melted (or regular butter or melted coconut oil)

•    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients until fully combined. Set aside. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, brown sugar, and pumpkin together until combined. Add the milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until *just* combined. Do not overmix.
  3. Bake for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely and cut into 12 squares. Bars remain fresh for up to one week stored chilled in an airtight container.

sallysbakingaddiction.com

Photo Credits:
 http://beautybyontd.livejourna…
 mikesmixrecoverydrink.com
 http://www.attunefoods.com
 www.inspiredtaste.net
 www.heatherlikesfood.com
 www.elanaspantry.com

Carly Ramsay3rd Year Undergraduate StudentStudying Geography and Law