10 of the Best Chick Flicks for a Girly Night In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

The best nights in are the ones with your girlfriends, you know the ones I mean…no makeup, no tight and uncomfy clothes, no need to shower and shave and most importantly messy buns that don’t actually have to look fashionable.

But it’s got to be said after the dominoes has been ordered, the boy chat has been completed and the nails have been painted there is only one thing that still needs to be decided – the movie.

So we at HerCampus have made a list of the top chick flicks that will make you laugh, make you cry and make you say…”SHUT UP”. So here it is the list of the 5 best chick flicks essential to all girls nights in…

1. 

This is the ultimate movie for three different reasons!

1. From the first 30 seconds into the movie you will be hooked…hooked as in I cant even take my eyes off the screen to pick up pizza, and it stays like this the WHOLE movie, no boring bits and if you’re nipping to the toilet you will definitely be getting your friends to pause it!
  2. You already think it’s an amazing movie since Julianne Hough is such a bad-ass female lead and then BAM there is a massive twist, as in one of the twists when you have to rewind it! Then you have just came to grips with that twist and BAM another massive one, even just thinking about it I need to sit down.
  3. Hello have you seen Josh Duhamel? He is reason enough to watch it…actually that should be reason number 1 I think…

2. 

If Cher Horowitz taught girls today anything it was that “Ugh as if” is a phrase we need to know, learn and use on a daily basis.  (If you didn’t read that in her voice there is something wrong with you).Every girl can relate to her when thinking that that one special boy doesn’t like her but Cher might be the only one that gets everything she wants in the end. She is pretty much the Queen of Everything and makes every girl want to be alive when checkered yellow suits were acceptable to wear to school. *cries because I’m not an 80’s kid *

3. 

Bridesmaids…can anyone fault it? Even my dad is practically obsessed with this ultimate chick flick! From toilet mishaps to airplane disasters this movie will have you crying tears of complete happiness that your life isn’t this much of a mess! Want to get married? This movie might make you think again! Oh and prepare to become addicted to Wilson Phillips, this song will have you singing for hours…

4.

If you are a teenage girl and haven’t seen this movie…you should firstly cry and then get straight out and buy it! Mean Girls is one of those movies you can watch 359 times and still not get bored, it also exists as the perfect movie to learn the lines off by heart and turn your bitch-mode Regina George on and totally get away with saying stuff like “Why are you so obsessed with me?” Also it lets all us college girls remember what Lindsay Lohan used to be like…hold back the tears. 

5. 

So what if it’s called Valentine’s Day that won’t stop me from watching it every month (every week) of the year. If you haven’t seen it, it’s just like Love actually (and if you haven’t seen that SORT YOUR LIFE OUT) basically everyone is connected in some way or another and so you spend the whole movie trying to work out the connections only for it to be revealed at the very end and for you to realize you are a complete failure when it comes to chick flicks! This movie will get every girl so emosh, if you’re single it will make you realize how much you’re missing out on in the world of love, and if you’re in a relationship it will make you realize your partner will never be as good as Ashton Kutcher…I still give it a 10/10 though, the cast is too beautiful to miss.

6. 

Do you want to feel completely sophisticated even if you are stuffing your face with pizza, lying in the most un-lady like position and just being a general slob? If the answer is yea this is definitely the movie for you. You watch this film once you will be turning up to your classes on Monday with pearls round your neck, a cane in your mouth and under the impression it is totally okay and acceptable to call your cat…cat. And girls if you’re trying to play had to get Audrey Hepburn really knows the score.

7. 

Do you want to work for a magazine? If the answer is a yeah then this movie might put you off. Well not really but as long as you are prepared to be insulted, stressed out and breaking up with boyfriends over it, then you’ll be fine….But seriously this movie gives you an amazing idea of the life of luxury working for a top magazine, jetting across the world, getting a total new look and wardrobe, I mean if Anne Hathaway can do it, surely so can we?

8. 

The best thing about Notting Hill…well isn’t it obvious it gives every ordinary girl the hope that one day a totally hot, rich, and famous actor will fall in love with us…DUUH. This is a love story to the extreme and surely it can’t just be me that finds Hugh Grant totally irresistible?  However one warning before watching this movie…prepare to become soooooo obsessed with Boyzone again, and don’t even pretend you aren’t excited! 

9. 

Princess Diaries is amazing because it gives hope to all of us girls out there who suffer from the very serious, very disheartening and very annoying problem of frizzy hair! One of my biggest questions in life is how they got her hair so perfectly. I would pay everything to get a hair stylist like that! Anyways this really is the perfect movie for any girl who wants to be a princess…so pretty much every girl lets not lie. 

10. 

*Cue Natasha Bedingfield- Pocket Full Of Sunshine *

Number one best thing about this song is that you will hear some old school Natasha Bedingfield on several occasions throughout the movie – prepare to relive your childhood! And the next best thing well Emma Stone is just all round amazing, and this movie will make you laugh….so much. And it’s perfect for a girl’s night in because it is so relatable!