This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

The 2020 presidential election is the most important election in American politics in the last 50 years, perhaps the most important election the United States has ever seen. With political turmoil, divided parties, and the fear of a corrupted election, why does voting matter?

A vote is the most direct and effective way for our government to hear our voices. Those we vote into office directly influence the legislature that gets passed. Important issues in 2020, such as healthcare, women’s rights, climate change, and racial equality are all affected by who has control of Congress (comprised of the House of Representatives and the Senate) and of course, who wins the presidential vote.

The election process can be overwhelming, but that should not stop any citizen from being able to vote. First, research the candidates running in your state and nationally. Our job as a voter is to be informed! Second, make sure you are registered to vote. Each state has different deadlines on when you can register, so definitely do it sooner than later so you don’t miss the deadline and are barred from voting.

This will be an unprecedented election year. Due to COVID-19, many states are allowing mail-in ballots. However, each state has different election rules regarding the mail-in ballot. To be up to date in your state about mail-ins, contact your local officials or visit your state’s specific election website. Though mail-ins and absentee ballots are often used interchangeably, they are slightly different. Some states are requiring all voting to be cast by mail, whereas an absentee ballot must be requested. If your state does not require mail-in voting, make sure you request your ballot early to give your local office some time to mail your absentee ballot out to you and for you to send it back before election day on November 3, 2020!

The different ways to vote:

• Mail-in
  • Absentee
  • In-person (subject to change in each state)
  • Early voting

Remember, the age demographic least likely to vote in elections is 18-29. Historically, this age group has had a lower voter turnout as opposed to those 65+. Due to this large gap in voter percentages between the age groups, young people are often underrepresented in government. However, we can change that by voting in representatives who look towards the future with us! In 2018, the midterm turnout for the ages of 18-29 increased by 16 percentage points. It was done once before and it can be done once again for this upcoming election.

Remember, voting is a right and is integral to a healthy democracy. Our voices need to be heard, and the only way anyone will listen is if we VOTE!

Resources:

https://www.usa.gov/absentee-voting

https://www.vote.org/voter-registration-deadlines/

Emily Gaudette

Stonehill '23

Emily is currently a sophomore at Stonehill College! She is an English major with a minor in Business administration and Communications. She loves playing with her dog, reading, writing, and watching Netflix! When she graduates, she would love to work in publishing.