Why ‘Parks and Rec’ is the Funniest Show on TV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Amy Poehler is without question one of the funniest people on television. The comedian stars in NBC’s Parks and Recreation, which has a small but fervent fan base. Poehler plays Leslie Knope, who is an excessively optimistic government employee and Pawnee’s most passionate citizen. Knope is so charming and selfless that it almost impossible not to stand behind her, whether you agree with her political ideologies or not.

Knope’s optimism is equalized by the cynicism of Ron Swanson (Nick Offerman), and April Ludgate (Aubrey Plaza). These two find Leslie’s zeal for local government work perplexing; making it one of the funniest aspects of the show. The other cast members (Aziz Ansari, Adam Scott, Rob Lowe, Chris Pratt, and Rashida Jones) add so much more to the show’s comedic depth. Every comedian is very different, yet they all manage to complement each other’s styles seamlessly.

The show also has the best reoccurring guests of any other show on television. While I could talk about how Ethel Beavers, Sewage Joe, and Councilman Jamm make me laugh so hard that it hurts, Jean- Ralphio Saperstein (Ben Schwartz) is undoubtedly my favorite. Part of me wants NBC to consider a spin off series for this failing ladies’ man/entrepreneur. He has so many great lines and gives such terrible life advice, especially when he tells Tom: “When life gives you lemons, sell your grandma’s jewelry and go clubbin.Jean-Ralphio, even though you are incredibly rude and helpless, I completely love your character and hope you become a regular cast member one day. 

I would love to talk more about the other characters; but I really am so impressed by the way Poehler has taken on Leslie Knope. While Leslie can be obsessive and overbearing about her work, she is such a great role model for this generation. It is refreshing to see a sitcom portray such an intelligent woman who is able to successfully deal with opposition from men in the workplace. I sometimes find myself asking myself: What would Leslie Knope do? For that, thank you Amy Poehler for creating this wonderful fictional character we as woman can laugh at and look up to.