This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

There is no better feeling when you put on your headphones and hit play to your favorite song. My favorite thing about music is it shows people who you are based off who you like without you even knowing it. In my personal opinion, the music you like is like an extension of your soul and it can tell you a lot about someone just by listening to the type of music they like. I hope to tell you a little bit about myself by sharing some of the artists that I grew up listening to and the new artist I have discovered along the way. Here are my top 7 artist I am listening to now:

7. Kid Cudi

Kid Cudi has one of those voices and styles that is uniquely his. His songs seem to a double affect, on me. His music shows you of the joys that can come from life, but also reminds you the pain that can come from it as well. His music shows me to embrace this short time I have as a kid and normalizes teenage adolescence.

• Erase Me
  • Pursuit of Happiness
  • Up, Up, & Away
  • By Design

6. Machine Gun Kelly

I do not know what it is about his music that makes me want to get up and dance but MGK has that hold on me. I think it the angsty teenager inside of me that will probably never go away. He has a rawness to his music that shows he isn’t afraid to tell people how it is. 

• I Think I’m OKAY (with YUNGBLUD and Travis Barker)
  • My ex’s best friend (feat. Blackbear)
  • Why are you here

5. Quinn XCII

The way I describe Quinn XCII music is the type of music you listen to during the summer nights driving around town with your best friends. His music is not only about love, but it is also about life and friendship that comes with it. In his albums are set with an upbeat tone mixed with the occasional sad songs to remind us that we are human. 

• Autopilot 
  • Panama
  • Sad Still

4. Lorde

Like Kid Cudi, there is a uniqueness to Lorde’s music, and it seems impossible to put her music into a category. If I had to it would be in Indie Dream because listen to her will put you into a different world. She has also used her music to become a role model for young women. Her unconventional music style has put her into the new age of music that shows she isn’t afraid to make her own rules.

• Supercut
  • Ribs
  • Greenlight

3. Frank Ocean

Frank Ocean’s music is a type of artistry that is only seen once in a couple decades. His music is emotional and raw that any person can relate to. He is the first recommendation to give when people ask for new music. He bares his soul in his music, and it shows. The way I explain his music is pure, soul baring poetry that is everyone should hear. We all reach those points in life where we hit a low, but Frank Ocean is there to remain us we are not alone, and he is there for us. 

• Lost
  • Crack Rock
  • Self-Control
  • Godspeed

2. Bruce Springsteen

Where do I even begin with Bruce Springsteen’s music. Growing up his music is all I heard which is probably because my mom is a diehard fan which later turned me into one as well. He music just seems timeless passing through generations never failing to relate to the next. He is the embodiment of a Rockstar without the sex and drugs, but all the rock and roll. As my mom passed it on to me, I will pass it on to my kids and hope to pass my love for his art to you.

• Hungry Heart
  • American Skin (41 Shots)
  • Wreak on the Highway
  • Promise land
  • Radio Nowhere

1. Taylor Swift

I count myself lucky to have grown up in a time of Taylor Swift. She was my first album I bought, and I have bought every album since in hardcopy. When I look back on all the things that have happened in my life, it seems that Taylor Swift and her music have always been there. Growing up can be hard but I had songs like “The Best Day” and “Fifteen” to remind me that it is all a part of life. I couldn’t possibly pick just a few of my favorite songs by her so here is what I recommend starting:

• Taylor Swift first album that is simply just called Taylor Swift
  • The album Red: Holy Ground, Treacherous, and The Last Time (feat. Gary Lightbody)
  • Some of her live music on Spotify because live is the superior version of music: betty, Death by A Thousand Cuts, and Cornelia Street
  • Other music: The Way I Loved You, Soon You’ll Get Better, and New Year’s Day

Bonus Songs:

• I Won’t Back Down- Tom Petty
  • Bruce Wayne- Memorecks, Jenna Pemkowski
  • Piece of My Heart- Janis Joplin
  • Island in The Sun- Weezer
  • Never Enough- Audiodub
  • The Spins- Mac Miller
  • Easy Silence- The Dixie Chicks

My name is Grace and I live in Boston, Massachusetts. I come from a long line of strong, hard-headed, bad-ass feminist. Some of many passions is reading, writing, and photography as well as playing sports. Writing is something that I have always loved to do since I was little and I am so excited to be a part of Her Campus!