Life > Experiences

Valentine’s Day? More like Galantine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Who said Valentine’s Day is only for celebrating romantic relationships? Barbie spoke the truth we all needed to hear: “Every night is girls night!” Valentine’s Day is an excuse to spend some much-needed quality time with the people you love most (and eat lots of discount candy the next day). Ever since the start of the semester, everyone’s been so busy, so grab your friends and celebrate a night of friendship!

Watch a movie

This is such a simple activity that engages the whole group! Making popcorn or snacks beforehand is a fun way to get ready for the movie. If your friend group is like mine and struggles for so long to pick a movie, I suggest having each person choose a movie they think the group would enjoy and write it down on a piece of paper. Then, choose one out of a hat at random. This system has been amazing for us!

Paint your nails and do face masks

My friends and I recently did this and it reminded me how enjoyable it is to have a simple and relaxing night. Painting your nails and waiting for them to dry with others is a great way to talk with a people you want to catch up with. It feels like adult arts and crafts!

Bake a Dessert

Baking is always a great way to celebrate something. Making a Galantine’s Day-decorated cake is super festive and you get a yummy treat after you’re done! It doesn’t have to be as elaborate as a whole cake. Cookies, brownies, and cupcakes are easier to bake and require less ingredients. 

Play conversation card games

If you and your gals want to spend quality time getting deep, this is a great way to do it! Getting deep into conversation is something that is important for maintaining friendships. Some great conversation card games are “For the Girls,” “Spark,” “Girl Code,” and “We’re Not Really Strangers.”

Spend time with your gals this Valentine’s Day and embrace the gift of friendship! 

Amanda Craig

Stonehill '24

Amanda is a senior at Stonehill College majoring in psychology and minoring in communications. She enjoys spending time with her roommates, listening to alternative and indie music and going to the Cape with her family. She is a huge animal lover with a soft spot for cats. Fun fact: she can make bird noises!