‘Tis the Season to Raid Your Mother’s Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Are you tired of your old frocks? Are your sweaters ratty and fraying at the seams? You’re probably dying for a new chic wardrobe, but need to focus on pinching those pennies for the holiday season. As much as you would love to splurge on new trendy winter wear, you’d blow out your barely-existing college budget before you even start gift shopping. The guilt would follow you like a dark, heavy cloud all season if you splurged on yourself rather than getting your younger sister that new dress she’s been ogling.

There’s a way to expand your closet that won’t cost a dime. While you’re home for the holidays, I encourage you to raid your mother’s closet. We’ve all been through the stage where we tore through our brother’s drawers for big t-shirts and cozy flannels. But have you dared to scrummage through your mother’s old clothes? I know what you’re thinking: moms have an outdated and boring sense of style. Surprisingly, by putting some of those old clothes on a hip young adult and adding some key accessories, you can create a refurbished outfit. Don’t toss your mom’s old-fashioned style to the side; embrace the fabrics and patterns and search for something begging to see the light of day once again.

Some sweaters may seem stiff and outdated, but by manipulating these matronly items you can add a sophisticated and hipster flare to your wardrobe. A patterned boxy sweater that reeks of pearls and high tea can be transformed into a hipster sweater paired with skinny jeans and boots. The loud pattern that originally belonged in PTA meetings can be rejuvenated in a funky coffee shop. Even those hideously bedazzled Christmas sweaters can make a guest appearance at your next ugly Christmas sweater party. You’re in even more luck if you sift through the top shelf and find a decent hat amongst the clutter. People will think you shopped at Urban Outfitters, not your mother’s old and dusty Talbots-filled closet. If you hold onto things long enough, they can come back into style. Make sure to poke through your mom’s old clothes for something you can tweak and wear out on the town. Keep an open mind and allow the clothing to transform before your eyes.

Stonehill '16Track and Field Elementary Education & Visual and Performing Arts double major