Six Survival Tips for Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Well, not quite yet. First, college students must survive the dreaded five days leading up to winter break – finals week. Have you found yourself daydreaming about your holiday feast, sleeping until noon or what you’re going to wear on New Year’s? If you answered yes, you’ve probably reached the point where you’re struggling to stay motivated. The best thing about finals week is that eventually it ends, but not without stress, of course. Here are six tips to keep you trucking on when the going gets tough.

1. Get at least eight hours of sleep per night

When you’re studying, writing papers and compiling notes it can seem like there’s no time in the day for necessities, like sleeping. Even though you feel like you won’t get all your work done unless you pull all-nighter after all-nighter, getting a full night’s rest before a big test is super important. Try studying in small increments throughout the day so that you can fit in some much needed rest and relaxation the night before your big test.

2. Set goals for yourself

Create an incentive to finish your work and pair it with a deadline. By making goals, you will find yourself feeling more motivated than ever. Coming up with rewards, like grabbing froyo at Orange Leaf or getting a scarf you’ve been eyeing, will make you actually want to sit down and hit the books. Your rewards should come with deadlines like “finish making my study guide by 6 p.m. and get a new nail polish” or “write 5 pages of my essay by dinner and treat myself to dessert.”  That way, you’ll have a time frame where you’re focused on finishing, rather than letting yourself procrastinate.

Tip: Write down your goals and put them in a place where you can see them while you work — seeing them over and over should help motivate you even more!

3. Allow one hour to yourself for leisure

Sitting at a desk or in the library all day can make you go completely batty — we’ve all been there, right? When the glow of your laptop gets to be too much, it’s okay to give yourself a break. Taking one hour out of each long study day for yourself will keep you from going stir crazy. Sometimes, a little fresh air is the cure to the finals blues. Go for a walk, hit the gym, do yoga, read a novel or simply sit back and relax in a comfy spot. Your sanity will thank you!

4.  Make a “studying” playlist

The kid near you won’t stop tapping his pencil. The sound of the lawn mower permeates the walls. The silence rings in your ears. Whatever the distraction may be, you’re probably going to find drowning out unwanted noise completely necessary at one point or another. Open up iTunes, Spotify or Pandora and create a playlist to listen to while you study. Controlling the surrounding noise can help you focus!

5. Eat regularly

I know we’ve all been here before — you are studying so much and cramming it all in that you forget to eat lunch…and dinner. Eating whole meals is really essential in maintaining energy and a positive attitude. I know I always get a little edgy when I haven’t eaten. When it comes to studying for a big exam, it’s in your best interest to eat at least three well-balanced meals a day. Grab a bagel and a banana in the morning to start yourself off and bring healthy snacks like yogurt and granola bars in your book bag. If sitting down for lunch isn’t an option, grab a salad or sandwich to-go, and always make room for a good dinner!

6. Breathe, because it’s going to be okay.

Take a deep breath and remind yourself that in the grand scheme of things, it’s just a test. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t study and try your hardest to ace it, but don’t get yourself too worked up over it. Stress and anxiety will make it even harder for you to focus and ultimately do well. So keep thinking positive thoughts and keep going! You’ll be enjoying holiday festivities soon enough :)

Photo Sources:

Beautylish.com

http://cdn.sheknows.com/articl…

Sarah Edwards is a senior at Stonehill College in Easton, MA. She is studying Communication with a focus on the media.  Sarah's personal interests include writing, digital imaging, tearing it up at the dance studio and listening to Taylor Swift. She is addicted to iced chai lattes, country radio, Pinterest and fun colored nail polish.Follow Sarah's busy life on Twitter: @SarahEdwards30