Ranking ‘1989 (Taylor’s Version)’: A Blissfully Romantic Musical Journey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

In the vibrant tapestry of contemporary pop music, few albums have left as impactful a mark as Taylor Swift’s “1989.” Released in the autumn of 2014, this record marked a shift in the career of one of the world’s most beloved and talented songwriters. Swift, having transitioned from her country roots, took a bold leap into the realms of pure pop, and “1989” was the clear result of that beautiful journey. A shimmering blend of infectious melodies, relatable lyrics, and Taylor’s signature storytelling prowess, the album was a definitive moment of transformation for the artist, catapulting her into a new era of sound and style. As we Swifties have been given the opportunity to delve back into the world of “1989,” with the release of her version, it becomes evident that this musical masterpiece not only captures the spirit of its time but continues to resonate with listeners, making it a timeless classic in the pantheon of modern pop. Today we will be doing a cute and honest ranking of the tracks that stole our hearts, as well as rank the vault tracks we never knew we needed in our lives.

16. “Shake It Off”

I hesitate to rank this classic hit lower on the list, but it’s important to acknowledge that “Shake It Off” may not fully showcase the genius songwriting skills for which Swift is renowned. Don’t get me wrong; this track is undeniably fun and gets everyone moving, but when we compare it to the lyrical depth and emotional resonance of some of Taylor’s other iconic offerings to us Swifties, “Shake It Off” falls a bit lower on the list. Nevertheless, it’s important to remember that we still hold this hit in high regard, and it will forever occupy a special place in our hearts.

15. “I Wish You Would”

“I Wish You Would” is a track that, without a doubt, never gets skipped when it plays, but it often finds itself slightly overshadowed by the plethora of brilliantly written songs on “1989.” Known for its retro undertones and driving melody, this rhythmic gem, while undeniably captivating, doesn’t quite encapsulate the full spectrum of the album’s aesthetic. As a result, it doesn’t quite earn a higher spot on the ranking list, despite its undeniable charm.

14. “Blank Space”

“Blank Space” undoubtedly stands out as one of the most intriguing tracks on “1989.” Renowned for its haunting storytelling, skillful use of adjectives, and the adorable inclusion of tongue-clicking to emphasize its message, this song exudes a captivating allure. In my personal perspective, it’s as though “Blank Space” foreshadows the emergence of Taylor’s “Reputation” era, characterized by a darker, more villainous persona. This track’s irresistible appeal, catchy melody, and its ability to linger in the listener’s memory makes it an indelible gem within the album.

13. “Bad Blood”

“Bad Blood” is a track that serves as a delightful time machine for us Swifties, transporting us back to the exhilarating year of 2014 when we belted out its lyrics at the top of our lungs in our cars. I can vividly recall the countless moments when my friends and I joined in singing along, particularly in Kendrick Lamar’s verses, as this song has a remarkable ability to unite people. Although it might not rank among Taylor Swift’s most outstanding songwriting accomplishments, it holds a special place as one of her most widely recognized and beloved tracks.

12. “All You Had To Do Was Stay”

It’s quite possible that some readers may not agree with my placement of “All You Had To Do Was Stay” in the ranking, but it’s important to emphasize that my appreciation for this piece remains intact. This track skillfully serves its purpose as a breakup anthem, getting everyone on their feet to dance through its infectious energy. It’s admittedly a challenge to position this song lower on the list given the genuine affection I hold for it.

11. “This Love”

Similar to “Wildest Dreams,” “This Love” received its re-recorded version, making its debut in May 2022. This release added to the mounting anticipation within the Swiftie community for the reimagined album. “This Love” has consistently stood as a robust addition to Taylor Swift’s catalog. The song possesses a unique ability to transport the listener into a realm where the relationship Taylor sings about is portrayed in a soft focus, blurring the edges of starkness and immersing us in the serene shades of romantic ambiguity.

10. “Welcome To New York”

“Welcome to New York” serves as the cityscape opening to “1989.” It perfectly fits the album’s ambiance, skillfully setting the stage for Swift’s musical transformation. Unlike her previous albums, “1989” adopts a markedly sleeker, metropolitan sound. Swift effortlessly embodies the essence of a New York girl throughout the tracks, exchanging somber reflections on love for punchy, assertive declarations. It’s hard to imagine a more fitting opening for this album, as “Welcome to New York” ushers listeners into a world of change and vibrant energy.

9. “Wildest Dreams”

“Wildest Dreams” is a masterful blend of haunting and romantic elements. Listening to this track is like being suspended in that hazy realm between wakefulness and the verge of slumber. It exudes a mesmerizing quality that lures one in. The song’s allure lies in its ability to transport the mind to thoughts of enduring love and soulmate connections. What could be more enchanting than the idea of a love that lasts forever? It’s a song that compels us to hit the replay button time and time again, allowing its intoxicating essence to wash over.

8. “Wonderland”

In “Wonderland,” Swift skillfully weaves a series of references from Alice in Wonderland to depict a tumultuous and toxic relationship. Swift has consistently demonstrated her talent for framing the complexities of relationships with cleverly coded metaphors, but in this track, she arguably reaches the climax of her songwriting prowess.

7. “How You Get The Girl”

In “How You Get The Girl,” Swift presents a heartfelt rulebook for navigating the intricacies of relationships. Her advice is refreshingly straightforward and relatable, assuring her listeners that there’s nothing amiss in prioritizing the pursuit of love. This track effortlessly ignites the urge to dance, no matter where one is, and in my view, it deserves even more appreciation within the album. Swift’s ability to encapsulate the essence of romantic longing and self-assurance is one of the reasons why her music resonates with so many.

6. “Style”

“Style” stands as one of Swift’s signature tracks, and it’s not by chance. Beyond its well-documented allusions to a certain boy bander that made headlines, it’s a pop masterpiece in its own right. “Style” arguably serves as the blueprint for pop music in the mid-2010s, epitomizing the era’s sound and style. Swift’s ability to capture the essence of the moment while infusing her own brand of storytelling is a testament to her enduring influence on the music industry.

5. “You Are In Love”

“You Are In Love” is a heartfelt ode to the past romantic relationship between producer and close friend, Jack Antonoff, and actress Lena Dunham. The genesis of the song stemmed from Antonoff’s creation of the basic backing track, while Swift poured her thoughts and emotions into the lyrics, crafting a musical tribute to their love story. This collaborative effort not only showcases Swift’s songwriting skills, but also serves as a beautiful testament to the love shared by two people.

4. “Out Of The Woods”

“Out Of The Woods” exudes a dark and brooding atmosphere, amplified by the ’80s-inspired production courtesy of Jack Antonoff. Swift’s unique touch infuses modernity into the track with her ad-libs and references, offering a snapshot of her life and relationships during the tumultuous year of 2014. This blend of past and present elements creates a captivating sonic journey, making the song a standout on the album.

3. “I Know Places”

As we near the conclusion of this list, we encounter songs that approach the criteria of musical perfection. “I Know Places” embodies a spacey and atmospheric quality in the most enchanting manner. Swift demonstrates her profound understanding of crafting intriguing melodies, and when this innate talent is coupled with the precise production work of Ryan Tedder and Noel Zancanella, it becomes truly mesmerizing. The result is a composition that’s nothing short of a musical marvel.

2. “Clean”

Swift’s “1989” boasts a wealth of outstanding songs, making the task of choosing a top track a tough one. In the end, “Clean” secures the second spot. Swift penned this song to encapsulate the moment when your mind finally rids itself of thoughts about an ex. Remarkably, fans have found their own personal messages within the song’s lyrics. “Clean” has not only earned its place in Swift’s breakup song anthology, but also serves as a beacon of hope for Swifties navigating challenging times.

1. “New Romantics”

It’s worth noting that “New Romantics” not only set the stage for the announcement of “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” during the U.S. leg of her Eras Tour, but also secures the top spot on this list. It’s a natural choice for this honor, given its status as one of the album’s most potent songwriting efforts and its immense popularity among fans. The track epitomizes a breath of fresh air, reflecting the album’s overarching goal of a complete reinvention for Swift.

the ‘1989’ vault tracks

Let’s now delve into the world of vault tracks. These are the hidden gems, extra songs that didn’t make the cut in the original releases of her albums but were composed during the same creative era. These vault tracks have been unveiled as part of the re-recorded editions of her albums, including “Fearless (Taylor’s Version),” “Red (Taylor’s Version),” and “Speak Now (Taylor’s Version).” It’s worth noting that the vault tracks from “1989” have had quite an impact on me, making this ranking a challenging endeavor when compared to her other hidden treasures.

5. “Slut!”

From “Blank Space” to her latest work in “Midnights,” including “Anti-Hero,” Swift consistently explores insecurities within the public eye. “Slut!” delves into the theme of perception but with a twist, as Swift proudly embraces her deep love and confidently dismisses concerns about public opinion. This song reflects Swift’s unapologetic and empowering songwriting.

4. “Suburban Legends”

In “Suburban Legends,” Swift paints a portrait of a intricate romance with complications and subtle hints of longing for an elusive fantasy. She skillfully channels her own yearning, drawing out syllables to depict her outstretched desires and revisiting scenarios that are destined to fail. The track shimmers with lively chords and a nuanced sense of yearning, culminating in its final 30 seconds where evaporating synths underscore Swift’s somber acceptance of her fate.

3. “Is It Over Now?”

In “Is It Over Now?,” Swift skillfully explores that elusive moment when a relationship teeters on the precipice of no return. The song offers an intimate look into a fractured love that, despite the wreckage, might still have a flicker of life left. Swift delves into the betrayals committed by both parties, post-breakup dates that appear futile, and the weight of unfinished business clashing with the complexities of their shared history. The track excels as a storytelling exercise, portraying a relationship existing in a gray area that Swift seeks to transform into a fairy tale romance. The characters and their circumstances are instantly relatable, and the resolution feels genuinely earned.

2. “Now That We Don’t Talk”

“Now That We Don’t Talk” is both the shortest “From The Vault” song in this collection and the shortest track on all of “1989 (Taylor’s Version).” In its brief duration, Swift masterfully offers a plethora of intriguing insights into a failed relationship. From post-breakup wounds to sarcastic observations about style changes, the song explores the silver linings of the split. It glides away from heartache with a clear sense of purpose, and Swift delivers each detail with unmistakable enthusiasm, concluding with the titular phrase with a resounding stomp.

1. “Say Don’t Go”

One of the most captivating aspects of Swift’s “From The Vault” concept is how it seamlessly weaves sounds and ideas from various stages of her artistic journey, breathing new life into songs from bygone years with a contemporary touch. “Say Don’t Go” feels right at home in the world of “1989,” with its high-drama romance and major-key hooks. The song also bridges elements from Swift’s country-pop days, and the post-chorus harmonies evoke her “Midnights” era sound. The result is another exceptional example of a song that is firmly rooted in a particular moment while drawing upon all of Taylor Swift’s diverse experiences to make a full and resonant impact.

Ori is a sophomore at Stonehill College from Natick, MA. She is a Communications & Sociology double-major as well as a Speech-Language Pathology minor. She is committed to education and is passionate about social justice, mental health, equality in healthcare, music, healthy dating, and faith formation. She is an avid Taylor Swift fan which has become one of her sole personality traits. She is a big country fan and usually the only one in her friend groups. She loves concerts, the outdoors, her family and friends, makeup and beauty, conferences, and taking part in experiences that revolve around love and happiness.