Oops! Chris Brown Did It Again

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Ever since singer Chris Brown emerged into the celebrity world in 2005, he has been in and out of trouble with the law. Recently, Chris Brown was arrested for assault for the second time. But before we get into that mess, let’s take a look back at Brown’s record, criminal record, that is.

2008-2009: This year marked the explosive era of Chrihanna. Chris Brown and Rihanna started dating and appeared to be the celebrity world’s most adorable couple. That was until February of 2009 when Brown was arrested and charged with assaulting Rihanna on the eve of the Grammy Awards in a rented Lamborghini. The surfaced picture of Rihanna’s bruised and bloody face was enough to turn once devoted fans against Brown. In June of 2009, Brown pleaded guilty to one felony count of assault with the intent of doing bodily injury. With five years of probation and a court order to serve 180 days in jail or the equivalent in labor-oriented community service (1,400 hours), Brown was just getting his criminal record started.

2012: Just when Brown appeared to be cleaning up his attitude, he was seen in another altercation in June of 2012. Brown and rapper Drake allegedly got into a fight in New York City club W.i.p, and Brown left the nightclub with a cut on his chin. But not to fear, recently Brown and Drake appear to be best friends, partying together late into the Hollywood nights. To only make matters worse, Brown appeared in court in September 2012 for a probation progress report hearing. Well he failed this progress report, as well as his drug test. Brown tested positive for marijuana use and the judge ordered a probation violation hearing.

2013: In February of 2013, Brown again appeared in court for a probation progress report hearing. This one also didn’t turn out so well. Prosecutors accused Brown of not completing the 180 days of community labor from his 2009 felony assault involving Rihanna. Wait, it still gets worse. In July, a judge revoked Brown’s probation because he was accused of a hit-and-run in May. The driver told police that Brown went ballistic and screamed at her after he rear-ended her Mercedes in Los Angeles. Brown allegedly did not give his license and insurance information to the other driver involved. However, these charges were dropped in August due to a civil compromise, otherwise known as a settlement, with prosecutors. I wonder how much that cost Brown? However, the deal locked Brown into another 1,000 hours of community service, including but not limited to graffiti or beach cleanup. This is because Brown is on probation from his Rihanna troubles. When a person is on probation, they are not allowed to get into any legal trouble. Even though the charges were dropped, something like this could still lead to a probation violation charge.

October 27, 2013: Brown was in Washington D.C. to host a homecoming party at The Park at Fourteen nightclub on Saturday night. This nightclub was only four blocks away from where all the action went down. Brown and his bodyguard, Chris Hollosy, were arrested and charged with felony assault after attacking a man outside the W Hotel in downtown Washington D.C. at 4:25 AM on Sunday. Issac Adams Parker, 20, of Beltsville, Maryland claimed that he attempted to take a photo with Brown who was posing with a female fan on the sidewalk. Some speculate that Parker was attempting to photo-bomb Brown and the fan. Brown responds, “I’m not down that that gay sh-t” and “I feel like boxing.” Despite the fact that Brown should have chosen his ignorant words more carefully, he proceeded to punch Parker in the face. Brown’s bodyguard, who is 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds, stood between Brown and Parker and also punched Parker in the face. Parker was later treated at a hospital for his swollen and bruised face, as well as a broken nose. The bodyguard then led Brown to his tour bus. Brown and his bodyguard were taken into custody and held at the Second District police station. According to police, they were transferred to a central jail cellblock for processing.

This crime could land Chris Brown in prison considering he is still on probation for his 2009 felony assault on former girlfriend. Brown, who keep in mind is only 24 years old, could be locked up for four years! However, lucky for Brown the charges were reduced to assault misdemeanors on Monday. Even still, the Los Angeles County district attorney does not appear sympathetic and will most likely seek jail time.

Maybe Brown can take this near-prison experience and learn to not involve himself in violent situations. But this does not seem to be the case considering he is causing even more controversy in his music career, dissing former girlfriend Rihanna in his new song “I’m Still.” If Brown doesn’t get his act together soon he may be coined the male version of Lindsay Lohan. You may think that’s extreme, but Brown is following in Lohan’s footsteps.

October 29, 2013: Brown has recently avoided jail by entering rehab before his court date. Was this a strategic move to avoid a prison sentence or is he really interested in gaining “insight into his past and recent behavior,” according to a statement from his representative. There is no indication of a substance abuse problem, only a need for anger management. There is also no indication of how long Brown intends to stay in rehab. Will the choice to admit himself save him from prison? He is set to appear in court on November 20th for a probation status hearing. Only time will tell the fate of the troubled 24-year-old singer.

Sources:

CNN

http://www.google.com/hostedne…

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-20…