This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Let’s talk self-care. Up until recently, I had the standard view of self-care involving a specific guide or only implementing a routine once a week. Face masks and long baths are the first two things that would come to mind. Don’t get me wrong, I love those both, but I have noticed that it is important to cultivate your own self-care routine without the influence of others. To me, this means regularly including the things that make me happy and put my mind at ease. 

Looking at a definition from “National Institute of Mental Health,” one way to define self-care is “taking the time to do things that help you live well and improve both your physical health and mental health” (“National Institute of Mental Health”). This routine should be an everyday priority. Ask yourself: what are you going to do to continue to improve upon yourself and protect your own peace and values? This is my new, developed take on caring for myself each day. This will certainly look different for everyone, but it is important to try to find what works for you, especially as busy college students! Here are some ideas of ways to take care of your body and happiness this February and every month after! These are my recent favorite things to do as a form of a self-care routine.

1. Moving your body! 

I have found that the days I incorporate some sort of movement I am happier and my mind is clearer. I learned that for me this does not have to be hours at the gym or a long workout, but can rather be something simple. My exercise routine changes regularly and right now I am into pilates and long walks. I am loving these two! I have more energy and feel better in my own skin. 

2. Reading

The past two years I have grown to love reading! When I read, my mind is only on what is happening on that page. I read for my own happiness and peace. I love romances, fiction, and have recently got into memoirs. I am currently reading both a memoir by Dolly Alderton called Everything I Know About Love and The Friend Zone by Abby Jimenez. I also love reading online magazine articles to just learn more about things that interest me. My favorites right now are Well+Good Magazine and Shape Magazine

3. Dressing to impress (yourself!)

I love putting together outfits that are simple but somewhat stylish to make myself feel better. A good outfit, both comfortable and cute, is a game changer in feeling happy in both my mind and body. 

4. Skin Care

This does not have to be a scary and time-consuming task but can be as simple as making a goal to wash your face every night. I have developed my own routine for my own skin, which took time but helped a lot. This routine gives me something concrete to do every morning when I wake up and every night before I go to bed. 

5. Eating Well 

Eating the right foods and enough food is very important for your mental and physical health. The right foods, such as healthy foods impact my daily life in ways of feeling energized, healthy, happy, etc. 

Chloe Hannan

Stonehill '25

Chloe Hannan is a junior at Stonehill College and is from Kent, Connecticut. She is majoring in Business Management and minoring in Entrepreneurship. She loves to read, write, bake, workout, and spend time with her family.