My Goodbye to Stonehill College

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

When I was a freshman, the year 2024 seemed so far away that it’s almost hard to believe a time machine wasn’t involved. There were times along the way where I thought it seemed impossible to finish out my college career. Before starting college, my parents always told me that college will be the most exhilarating, yet most stressful four years of my life (they hit the nail on the head with that one). 

In high school, I wasn’t a very outgoing person, so coming to college I made sure to set a goal of finding a group of friends I could be myself around. Everyone knew me as one of the shy kids in high school, so I know it would make my younger self extremely proud to see where I am today. I’ve come a long way from struggling to get to the first day of high school to now moving out and living at school for the past four years.

In high school, I loved playing the flute in band, so when I saw that Stonehill offers Concert Ensemble, I knew I wanted to join. Being a part of the Concert Ensemble, and now the Pep Band, for the past two and a half years has been the most rewarding experience for me in college. When I first joined the collegiate ensemble world, there were only seven band members total. Over the past two and a half years, I’ve gotten to see it grow to more than double its original size. I’ve also had the opportunity to become the Creator and Social Media Director for the band’s Instagram page which has boosted our visibility on campus. Being a part of the band has allowed me to do things I would’ve otherwise never done such as meet people I don’t have a lot in common with, and support basketball and hockey games.

The very lasts of cramming for exams, procrastinating homework, and running to class have come, but that doesn’t mean that the connections made, nights had, or experiences shared have to be over. I’ve made friendships and connections that I am certain will last a lifetime. 

When I arrived at college four years ago, I remember crying in the car on the way to move in because I was so scared of what was ahead of me. When I drive away from Stonehill for the last time after graduation, I know it will hit me hard. Leaving college has been one of the hardest goodbyes I’ve experienced throughout my 21 years of life, but that’s how I know I had a meaningful, beautiful and fruitful experience with people who matter most.

Amanda Craig

Stonehill '24

Amanda is a senior at Stonehill College majoring in psychology and minoring in communications. She enjoys spending time with her roommates, listening to alternative and indie music and going to the Cape with her family. She is a huge animal lover with a soft spot for cats. Fun fact: she can make bird noises!