I will admit that I am a baby vegetarian. In other words, I only recently decided to cut meat out of my diet. I stopped eating red meat around two years ago and last January I stopped eating meat altogether. I'm not sure why I decided to do the veggie thing, but I tell people that, personally, it was healthier for me.
Last spring was my first semester being a vegetarian on campus. It was not difficult finding meals with no meat in them since I usually avoided the meat on campus anyway. This semester I am living off-campus and have access to a full kitchen. Here are 5 meals I enjoy as a vegetarian and food lover!
- A classic comfort food and cult favorite: Having a grilled cheese partnered with a cup of creamy tomato soup is best on any type of day. I usually use soup from a can when I am looking for a quick and easy meal. I would recommend adding caramelized onions or tomatoes into your grilled cheese to class it up.
- Let’s spice it up in the kitchen: Burrito bowls are perfect for meal planning at the beginning of the week. I love to make rice or quinoa, beans, and veggies on a Monday and have a ready-to-go bowl for lunch or dinner. I usually add avocado, salsa, cheese, and hot sauce, but you can add whatever you prefer.
- Choose your own veggies: Veggie quesadillas are one of my favorites because I can use any kind of vegetables that are readily available to me. To give you some inspiration, I love adding broccoli, zucchini, corn, red peppers, and onions that are all cooked in a sauté pan before going into the cheesy tortilla.
- The sweet and salty combo is superior: Soy Peanut Noodles are super simple but super delicious. This is the recipe I used when first learning how to make them: https://thecookreport.co.uk/15-minute-soy-peanut-noodles/
- A meal if you are trying to impress: Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas contain some of my favorite ingredients to cook with and eat. I recommend following the recipe because this is an option that requires a full kitchen. But don't worry it is not a complicated recipe! https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sweet-potato-and-black-bean-enchiladas-5506806