This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

So as many people know at Stonehill College I am from Miami, Florida. I know right? I get the question “Why did you choose Stonehill College?” probably once from every person I have met here at school. It’s a valid question, and the answer is that I really wanted to experience the North (the snow, new people, new experiences, etc.) but I also wanted to play volleyball in college as well. Stonehill was the best choice for me academically and athletically.

If you are from the south and make the big move for college up North as so many people do, I have some tips for you!

DO NOT OVERPACK!
I made this mistake my freshman year and decided to bring every hoodie, sweater, jacket, and shoes I could find. Not only was this super expensive but took up way too much space for the small dorm room you will get crammed into. Another rookie mistake I made was bringing ALOT of crop tops. I know it’s hard to think of not being able to wear crop tops and shorts on a day-to-day basis like at home, but in Massachusetts, crop tops and shorts season ends pretty quickly lol.

Go out of your way to make friends.

I know for some people it’s kind of hard to go out of your way to reach out to people you think you would get along with in your class but it really does make a difference! Having gone to a smaller Christian high school I knew everybody without ever really having to do introductions, so coming here was hard for me when I realized I needed to come out of my comfort zone to make friends. The cultural shock was very real for me and if you find yourself feeling out of place, just take a deep breath and relax and welcome this new experience with open arms!

Make the most out of going to school up north!
Yes, I know the winters drag on up here and the grey skies start to dull your sparkle. But, it is important to remember that it is only temporary and this change of weather was one of the reasons you chose to go to school in the north, to begin with! Seasons come and go and all we can do is enjoy the present moment while it lasts!

Explore your town or city!

Look up concerts coming up at a venue by you, take a trip into the city on the weekends, and go to a local park for a walk. The options are endless when it comes to making the most out of your college experience. My school is located in Easton, Massachusetts so were only about a 30 to 60-minute drive from Boston which is one of my favorite cities to visit on the weekends.

Well, I hope that this helps anyone who is looking for a change of scenery for college or just some tips about moving up north! :)

Amanda Maier

Stonehill '23

Hi! I'm Amanda and I'm a Junior Political Science major and Communications minor at Stonehill College. I play volleyball here at Stonehill and I love social media, blogging, fashion and all things self-care/ self-improvement. Another fun fact is from Miami, FL so being at school here in Massachusetts is a big change for me. Hope you enjoy reading my articles :)