This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

During times like this, we have to work double-time to keep ourselves entertained. Over the past few weeks, I’ve noticed that my mood has increased quite a bit, and I purely credit this to finding some new things to keep life feeling fresh. Although these things are small, and during normal times they would carry almost no significance whatsoever, anything joyful seems pretty noteworthy to me. Therefore, I would like to share some of the ways I am keeping life fresh and exciting.

Pre-Workout

I recently dabbled into the pre-workout world, which is a supplement claimed to boost your workout performance. One afternoon, I ordered some pre-workout on Amazon, mainly because I felt frivolous since I had a gift card. When it arrived in the mail, I was so excited to find that it came with its own ~wee~ little measuring spoon. Since arriving in the mail, I have taken this pre-workout supplement a few times, and I have to say that it gives me quite the caffeine rush. In fact, it is such a rush that I am dancing my way out the door at seven in the morning. I’ve also noticed that my feet move like they never have before on the treadmill. It is probably borderline toxic that I go and get a black cold brew coffee from Dunkin’ right after my workout, but I don’t even wish to consider how much caffeine I have before ten in the morning. At least it is something new.

My Plant, Ivy

I decided that it was time for me to take on the responsibility of being the caretaker for another life. Since I don’t intend to become a mother for a long time, I decided the best option was to buy a plant. I purchased an ivy plant, and it sits on my windowsill. After much deliberation, I named it Ivy, mostly because I was sensing old lady energy, and it is indeed the name of the plant species. Caring for Ivy has led to quite a learning curve. For one, I didn’t realize that you only have to water ivy plants about once or twice a week, so I was for sure over-hydrating Ivy for the first month. Now that I’ve learned how to care for Ivy properly, her leaves are starting to grow. I made another big mistake with Ivy’s care, particularly by thinking it was an excellent idea to let Ivy sit by an open window on a windy day. When I came back from work one night, Ivy had completely fallen over, and soil had spilled everywhere. I neatly put the soil back into the pot, and now it looks as if nothing ever happened. I guess that’s what it feels like when you’re a parent and your child falls on your watch, and then you have to dry their tears before going into public.

Holding My Head Up High

Maybe this is a bit abstract from the rest of my new things, but I have decided that I will choose to hold my head up high when I come face to face with a foe. I recently conducted an experiment where I walked by a foe of mine who had been found guilty of what my dad calls R.R.O.s, which stands for “repeated rat offenses.” Rather than put my head down, I chose to hold my head up high. He chose to look down at his phone and pretend that he received a notification, but it would be generous of us to say that he has notifications rushing in like that. Anyways, I chose to hold my head up high because I know I am not the rat. Therefore, I encourage you to hold your head up high when you come face to face with one of your foes as well. Never forget to exert dominance over your peers.

Back to Basics

Perhaps finding something new involves opening the door of your closet. One Sunday afternoon, I decided to reorganize my closet, mainly because I love cleaning. Well, it just so happens that I buy a lot of clothes, which makes for an occasional “little Christmas” where I find all of the clothes and accessories I forgot I even purchased in the first place. My recent “find” is my pair of little white cowboy boots, which I had shoved to the back of the closet a couple of months ago because it was winter, and I was afraid of getting them dirty. I decided to take out my little white boots the other day, and quite honestly, they made me feel a bit sassy. Wearing those boots brought me back to clowning around with my main pals when times were much simpler. Maybe the way to access my sassiest self just requires going back to basics.

A New Crush

I have a new crush, and I find him to be very cute. He is friendly and has struck up a conversation with me a few times now. There is just one snag we keep hitting: I am awkward. Whenever he talks to me, I can barely form sentences, so he probably questions how I can form enough sentences to write articles. I find him to be so intimidating. Some of my friends know him and have referred to him as a “sweetie,” and they believe that chatting with someone nice may be a good change of pace for me. Whenever we talk, I hope it is not obvious that I am beaming underneath my mask because I feel it may not be proper protocol to show all my cards. Time is certainly not on my side since I realized there are only a few weeks of classes left for the semester, but hey, he’s someone new.

Maybe during times like this, all we really need is something new.