Harry Styles at the 2021 Grammy Awards Red Carpet
Photo by Francis Specker / CBS

Everything you May Have Missed During the Grammys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

In the past years, there has been no shortage of controversy at award shows. From the Will Smith slap, Kanye West and Taylor Swift controversy, and many more, the controversies always keep the shows entertaining. 

This year’s Grammy’s were no different. Bad Bunny opened up the show with an electrifying performance of a variety of his songs that had everyone, including Taylor Swift, up and dancing. It was a great way to open the show and get the audience full of A-list celebrities energetic and on their feet. 

We got to see many other iconic performances such as Harry Styles, Brandi Carlile, Stevie Wonder, and a tribute to the 50th anniversary of hip-hop music that featured some of the biggest names in the industry.

Aside from the music, we had many funny moments from Lizzo and Adele who were sitting at the same table having the time of their life. We also got many funny clips of Ben Affleck looking miserable, while JLo was enjoying the show. The host of the award show, Trevor Noah, also made many questionable comments to celebrities, that had many talking. He overall did a good job, but many thought he was trying too hard, creating many awkward moments.

My personal favorite singer, Harry Styles, was at the center of much controversy at the show. His performance wasn’t up to his usual energetic and upbeat standard he is known for. I thought it was great, but agreed that he seemed tired, and unlike his usual self. We come to find out a few days later that the spinning platform was moving in the opposite direction as the performers had practiced with. Most viewers just thought he was tired from the years of touring, but him and his dancers were all of a sudden having to do the entire performance backwards. Knowing that, I think it is impressive that they were able to readjust smoothly and quickly.

There were so many amazing artists up for awards this year that no one was going to be completely happy with who won. We had new music come out from Harry Styles, Beyoncè, Lizzo, Adele and many other of the biggest artists in the world. 

Harry Styles was the controversial winner of album of the year. Many thought that it should have been Beyoncè’s Renaissance album. I personally don’t know what I think about it because I loved Harry’s House, but I understand why people are upset. However, music is subjective, so no one is going to be happy no matter who won. 

Beyoncè still had herself a night, breaking the record for the most Grammy wins ever after she won for best Dance/ Electronic album. Her emotional speech touched many of the audience and viewers.

After a few years of lackluster award shows due to the pandemic, it did feel good to have a full award show back on TV with limited restrictions to create a sense of normalcy. 

Caroline Bunnell

Stonehill '24

Caroline Bunnell is a senior from Stow, MA, and one of this years Campus Correspondents for Stonehill College's chapter! She is a communication major and a minor in journalism. She loves spending time with her family and friends, writing for the campus newspaper, dancing in Stonehill's dance club, and watching sports.