The Demise of Amanda Bynes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

As someone who is very saddened by issues involving human rights and social injustices throughout the world, I must admit something more trivial has caused me much distress lately. The demise of Amanda Bynes, former Nickelodeon star turned Hollywood starlet, has genuinely affected me.

Bynes was hysterical in her younger days when she starred on All That and The Amanda Show. Her comedic timing was nearly perfect with every joke she delivered. It appeared that she had a good head on her shoulders with the potential of a long and fulfilling career in comedy. People even compared her to Lucille Ball, one of the greatest female comedians to ever live. Not only was Bynes funny, but she was also beautiful, intelligent, and down-to-earth.  She’s the Man, Hairspray, and What a Girl Wants all featured solid performances by the child star turned Hollywood actress.  I also have to add that reruns of the short-lived sitcom What I like About You provide me with much delight.

At the age of 24, Bynes announced her retirement from acting. Shortly after, she appeared in Easy A and proved that maybe this so called “retirement” did not mean anything.  

However, Easy A in fact marked her last film. While Bynes still remains in the spotlight, it is for all the wrong reasons.

The former actresses’ Twitter page says it all. With constant, incomprehensible tweets, the star has created rumors on various platforms that allege the star could be bipolar, schizophrenic, or heavily medicated.

In the past few years, Bynes has been charged with a DUI and a couple of hit-and-runs. She has recently been photographed with facial piercings and dyes her hair very frequently.

This could just be another case of an eccentric former child star rebelling and looking for attention. On the other hand it could be a cry for help, signs of a mental disorder, or sleep deprivation. Either way, we can only hope that Bynes can get her act together because we know the fun-loving, hilarious actress still lives on underneath all of the craziness.

*photos courtest of Google images

Kate McCarthy is  a senior at Stonehill College in Easton, Massachusetts. She is a Communications major and a journalism minor. Although she does not know what she wants to do when she graduates, her dream job is having her own talk show and becoming a one woman sensation, like Oprah. At Stonehill, you can find her  winning championships with her intramural basketball team, swimming laps in O'Hara Pond or reading James Patterson novels in the cafeteria. After a semester studying abroad in the Czech Republic, her main goal in life is to travel the world. She is currently interning in Los Angeles, at the Queen Latifah show.