This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

This weekend, my journey in theatre will come to an end. After four years of performing in the Stonehill Musical Theatre Club, I sadly have to say goodbye to all the memories and friends I’ve made. Although my time in theatre hasn’t been perfect due to covid and other restrictions, it still has a special place in my heart. Here are some valuable lessons that I’ve taken from theatre and the wonderful club that Stonehill has given me.

1. Be confident and open to anything

Performing a show causes you to step up in ways that you didn’t know you could. With every experience, there may be something different your character does, or a scene calls for. I know over my four years with SMTC, I’ve learned to work with so many different actors and props. Feeling silly or stupid isn’t an option and everyone on stage is down for anything, which is what makes live theatre so fun. Physical comedy is a big part of any show, so exaggerating and playing up the part is a must, no matter how small the role.  

2. A cast is family

Every semester, auditions begin, and we start to learn who is in the cast for the show. I was a freshman my first year and didn’t know anyone, but as soon as rehearsals began, it was like I had been friends with these people for years. In theatre, people are supportive, caring, and helpful. You know you always have shoulders to cry on and people to laugh with. I have grown from someone who looked up to seniors, to now being one and giving advice to underclassmen. Through each cast, lifelong friendships are made, and memories will last forever.

3. You can become a leader

My second year at SMTC opened many doors for me. Applications were going out for production staff, and I wanted to be a part of it. After dancing competitively my whole life and having some experience in theatre from high school, I applied to be the choreographer. After getting the position, I have had the opportunity to choreograph two shows and many other performances as well. I was able to gain so much confidence in myself and understand how to lead a group of my peers. I will never get over the feeling of seeing my dances come to life on stage and be a part of a full production.

Although this is my last time performing in theatre for a while, I know that I will always have those life skills with me at all times. The butterflies that you feel before going on, the adrenaline of nailing a song, and all the emotions after bows are little things that I think I’ll miss the most. I want to thank Stonehill Musical Theatre Club, but also every director, choreographer, and cast member I’ve met along the way on stage. Here’s to one last show.

Justine Long

Stonehill '22

Hi! My name is Justine Long and I am a junior Mediated Communications major, Journalism minor at Stonehill College! I am from Chelmsford, MA, and love to write, dance, and listen to One Direction and Taylor Swift (of course). I hopefully want to write or edit for a magazine/newspaper after college, which is why I joined Her Campus!