Life > Experiences

An Inside Joke: One That Only Stonehill Students Will Understand  

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

From “Sweet Sweet Lovin” to the “haunted Sem,” Stonehill College has many inside jokes and traditions that only the students will understand. I’m here today to give a little inside scoop of what it’s like to be a Stonehill student and understand these jokes.  

1.  The Courts Cough  

Usually known as the Frat Flu at most colleges, the Courts Cough always hits hard the first weekend back at school. By Monday the next week, if you had gone to a Courts party the weekend prior, chances are you’ll be coughing up a lung along with everyone else who went out.  

1.  Dunkin’ Line  

The Shields Science Center Dunkin’ line is unmatched. Everyone knows that if you want a quick Dunks coffee before class, you quite literally need to give yourself an hour buffer time. The line can get outrageous. The worst is when it’s down by the bathroom, and you turn around because you just know you don’t have the time to wait in line. The workers work very hard, but the line does not let up. 

1.  Stonehill Seal (on the pavement)  

One of the first things that tour guides warn us about is to not step on the seals while walking on campus. There are two large silver pendants on campus, and they tell us that if you step on one of them, then it means you might fail a class, or you’ll end up pregnant. Let’s just say… everybody avoids stepping on those seals.  

1.  Duffy Classrooms in August  

Everyone’s favorite! There’s nothing like syllabus week in stuffy Duffy when you’re trying to make a good first impression with your professors, but your hair is sticking to the back of your neck dripping with sweat. The air always feels much thinner in this building, and those big wooden windows always seem to be broken and will never open to let in any fresh air.  

1.  Parking in Lot 17  

With the college being almost at full capacity, everyone knows the feeling of circling around Boland numerous times until you give up and realize you must park in the dreaded Lot 17. To be honest, students are always dramatic. Our campus is small and the walk is not anything outrageous, but knowing your car is in lot 17 is a different kind of defeat. 

1.  Chicken Wrap Thursday  

The best day at the commons. Every Thursday we have the commons famous chicken wraps, where you get an option between crispy and grilled chicken, with a choice of tomatoes, lettuce, and cheese. To top it off, you can choose between honey mustard dressing, BBQ sauce, and ranch dressing. Chicken Wrap Thursday lines usually pass the salad station and can even go towards the door. Chicken wraps are my favorite lunch at the Commons! I even adjusted my class schedule to fit Thursday lunch in. Everyone at Stonehill knows it’s a good day when it’s Chicken Wrap Thursday.  

Chloe Teller

Stonehill '25

Chloe Teller is a junior from Middleton, MA. She is studying Communications and Journalism. Chloe is the News Editor of the college paper, and hopes to go into Sports Journalism one day. She is on the college Dance Company, enjoys hanging with family and friends, and spending summers at the beach!