This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Now that the holiday season has come to an end, it is every bit normal to feel the winter blues that begin to creep in on us. So, how do we protest these winter blues? We learn how to activate our power to reset our minds through positive reframing.

Positive reframing “involves thinking about a negative or challenging situation in a more positive way” (Harvard.Edu). For example, “after a break-up you could think about the opportunities to meet new people, the things you learned in the relationship, and the gratitude you feel for the time you spent with the person” (Harvard.Edu). While we can’t always control what happens to us, we can control our reactions and our way of thinking. Through recognizing negative thinking and actively working to change these thoughts to be more positive and realistic, people can feel more resilient and optimistic in the face of stress (Verywellmind). The simplest way to think about positive reframing is that it all roots down to finding something to be grateful about in a challenging situation. Not only will positive reframing help our winter blues, but also helps to lower our stress levels and increase our happiness overtime.

I hope this helps to ease your winter blues!

Abbie is a junior at Stonehill College and is from Onset, Massachusetts. She is majoring in Business Management and minoring in Communication. She plans to one day work in Human Resources. Aside from writing articles, Abbie loves skiing, boat days, yoga, and adventures!