breakfast at tiffanys back
breakfast at tiffanys back
Paramount Pictures
Style > Beauty

A Reflection on Audrey Hepburn’s “Beauty Tips”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

The 1950s and ‘60s movie star, Audrey Hepburn, was known for being a beauty and fashion icon. Her biggest films include: The Roman Holiday (1953), Sabrina (1954), War and Peace (1956), Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961), and My Fair Lady (1964). When one thinks of Audrey, they think of ballet flats, doe-eyed makeup looks, thickly arched brows, and Givenchy gowns. However, Hepburn’s ideas of beauty went far beyond the legacy of her exteriors.  

Audrey was awarded titles like “Most Beautiful Woman of All Time” and “Most Beautiful Woman of the 20th Century” by magazines polls. Despite being constantly admired for her allure, she still felt insecure and unattractive. In a 1959 interview she stated, “…you can even say that I hated myself at certain periods. I was too fat, or maybe too tall, or maybe just plain too ugly… you can say my definiteness stems from underlying feelings of insecurity and inferiority. I couldn’t conquer these feelings by acting indecisive. I found the only way to get the better of them was by adopting a forceful, concentrated drive.” Even the most timeless icon of fashion and beauty has had feelings of mediocrity. 

But it wasn’t in the physical that Hepburn defined her beauty. More importantly, she emphasized the beauty of her character more than anything else. When Hepburn was asked to share her beauty tips, she recited her favorite poem by Sam Levenson entitled “Time Tested Beauty Tips” (1973): 

“For attractive lips, speak words of kindness.
For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
For beautiful hair, let a child run his or her fingers through it once a day.
For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone.

People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed and redeemed; never throw out anyone.

Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you’ll find one at the end of each of your arms. As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands, one for helping yourself, the other for helping others.

The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears, the figure that she carries, or the way she combs her hair. The beauty of a woman must be seen from in her eyes, because that is the doorway to her heart, the place where love resides.

The beauty of a woman is not in a facial mole, but the true beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul. It is the caring that she lovingly gives the passion that she shows.

The beauty of a woman grows with the passing years.

If you share this with another woman, something good will happen — you will boost another woman’s self-esteem, and she will know that you care about her.”

Audrey Hepburn, lesser known to her cinematic fame, was also a humanitarian. She was an advocate for children’s rights and worked closely with UNICEF as a supporter, campaign leader, and an ambassador. She travelled to where “humanity [was] suffering” to build schools, distribute vaccines, and bring what she witnessed back to the United States Congress. In 1992, Audrey was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by George H. W. Bush for all her humanitarian work with UNICEF. 

Audrey recognized that one’s beauty comes from within the soul. She tells us to not place our self-worth in beauty standards but to open our eyes to find that the real beauty is what we can do for others. It is being decisive and making the choice to be kind above all else. Beyond the ballet flats, finetuned makeup looks, and glamourous gowns; she was compassionate, selfless, and an inspiration to women in search of true beauty. 

Kaitlyn DaCosta

Stonehill '24

Kaitlyn DaCosta is a senior studying Secondary Education and English. She enjoys, reading, writing, singing, and watching movies with friends. Kaitlyn has aspirations to be a middle school English teacher where she can share her love for reading and writing.