Life > Academics

6 Study Tips for College Students with ADHD

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

As the spring semester sets in, maintaining our motivation and avoiding burnout in academics becomes increasingly challenging. Especially, for those of us with ADHD. As someone who chooses to go the untreated route with ADHD, I’ve been determined to develop study habits that enable me to achieve my academic goals, and these are some tips that I’ve found work best for me:

1. Routine

Build yourself a weekly routine that works around classes and includes times set aside for homework, meals, and other activities. Establishing a routine leaves you with no choice but to complete certain tasks at certain times, and minimizes the chaos of trying to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously. In college, it can be challenging to build a consistent routine, having different class times each day, along with other activities popping up unexpectedly. This is why following up with #2 is also helpful. 

1. Make Lists

On a smaller scale, making lists each day is something I’ve formed a habit of doing, and I find it incredibly helpful. Looking back, I don’t know how I ever managed everything from memory. I write out a list of all my tasks for the day in my planner, (highly recommend the Papier planner for lots of writing space), and cross them off as I go. 

1. Find Study Spots

Emphasis on the plural. I think it’s important to have go-to places around campus, and I find that switching up my environment and moving to a new space helps me stay productive. Plus, having several go-tos gives you backups for when you find “your” spot taken. 

1. Body Double

Body doubling is defined by the Attention Deficit Disorder Association as, “A productivity strategy used by individuals with ADHD to finish possibly annoying jobs while having another person beside them.” This other person serves as the body double. There’s no scientific certainty as to why this seems to work; however, I think just being in the presence of someone else helps enhance productivity and focus. This is because the feeling of being seen by someone else holds you accountable. It’s easy to find distractions when doing work alone, but with someone else in the room, you don’t want to be seen getting distracted. My roommates and I do work together all the time, and I am so fortunate to have that dynamic with them because it helps me immensely. But being around just anyone can make a big difference. Putting yourself in an environment, such as the library, where everyone around you is doing work too, makes it much easier to focus than being alone in your room where no one can see whether you’re being productive or not.

1. MUSIC!

According to the National Library of Medicine, listening to music has shown efficacy in reducing symptomology in many disorders including ADHD. Soft to medium-tempo instrumentals can help regulate focus. I recommend finding piano instrumentals to your favorite songs – there are TONS on Spotify – or listening to instrumentals of your favorite movie soundtracks. My favorite is the How to Train Your Dragon soundtrack. 

1. Incentives

A major struggle among many people, especially those with ADHD, is procrastination. Completing work without the pressure of a close deadline can feel near impossible. I find that building incentives into my day helps me handle the desire to procrastinate. For example, making plans to have a movie night with friends. That way, I know I need to complete my work beforehand, and I feel more motivated to, knowing the fun that lies ahead. 

Ultimately, everything is easier said than done, but you have more power than you may think to form habits that stick. Whether you have ADHD or not, I hope these tips help you as much as they have helped me!

Caitlin Henderson is a Sophomore from Londonderry, NH. She is a double major in Environmental Studies and Sociology. Aside from writing, she loves spending time outdoors at the Farm at Stonehill, skiing, and running, and enjoys traveling as much as possible.