5 Fictional Books I Believe Everybody Should Read Once in Their Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

As an English major, I love to read. It is embedded in every fiber of my being to love literature and the impact of words on the human heart and psyche. Literature is human nature, and it allows us to step into another’s perspective, another’s story, and find a piece of ourselves in the characters we read. It also grants us the space to develop empathy. Empathy for the stories that we may not be able to relate to, but we take something away when we read them anyways. This is the process by which we become better human beings who learn from diverse stories. There are so many books I love and hold dear to my heart for different reasons. I attach a novel to a different part of my life all the time because it is significant in my own character development, or I found the right book at the right time that I didn’t even know I needed. Essentially, this is the beauty of reading, and the immersive process of escaping into another’s soul. Below is a list of 5 books that I have read that have changed me. These are the books I believe everyone should read in their lifetime to learn, to grow, and to see the faults and beauty of humanity. 

1. Beartown by Fredrik Backman

Beartown is an emotional rollercoaster centered on the small town community of Beartown and its love of hockey. The literary fiction novel follows a declining youth hockey team, and the town must deal with the aftermath of a violent incident after one of the hockey games. This novel pulls at your heartstrings, and it causes you to question human being’s destructive nature. Because of the mature content, this novel took me a while to read because I found myself needing to take a break and reflect on the content of the novel. It is an emotionally taxing read, but it is so worthwhile in the end through how it depicts humanity against this hockey backdrop. Sometimes the most difficult literature to read is the most necessary to read. 

Trigger Warnings: Rape, Suicide, Guns, Homophobia 

1. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo 

Six of Crows is a YA fantasy novel that readers of all ages will enjoy. Bardugo’s use of various perspectives and diverse characters presents representation for all. Also, the novel is exciting and fast-paced where the characters must go on a heist. Even with the fantasy world-building, it truly feels like you are reading a story about young adults finding their identity and place in the world. I read this novel during the pandemic, and it truly was a source of escapism for me. These are beloved characters who contain qualities that everyone can see themselves in. Even though it is a fantastical world, the topics explored are so prevalent in our society. Bardugo brings awareness to these topics in all of her characters. I believe this is a pinnacle fantasy novel that everyone must read for its representation and storytelling. 

Trigger Warnings: Trauma, Violence, Drug Abuse/Addiction, Rape/Sex Trafficking (character backstory)

1. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak 

The Book Thief is a historical fiction novel about a young girl named Liesel, and it is set in Nazi Germany during World War II. The novel is narrated by Death who looks down upon various characters’ lives and deaths during World War II. The novel examines this horrific time period, while also showing the power of reading and words when they were restricted. The perspective of a young girl provides an innocent outlook and coming-of-age narrative that everyone can relate to, even under these extreme circumstances. The character relationships and story make it a novel that needs to be read by all, and I believe it should be a mandatory book to read in school curriculums for its powerful message and themes. 

Trigger Warnings: War, Violence, Death 

1. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton 

The Outsiders is a novel that made me feel seen as a child. I saw myself in Ponyboy’s love of movies and chocolate. I saw myself in Johnny’s shy, stoic nature. This novel is a classic for a reason. It follows the division between the Socs and the Greasers to display the conflict of the upper versus the lower classes. These young children face violence because of the conflicting gangs in Tulsa, Oklahoma. However, at the heart of the novel, it is the themes of friendship and family that make it so memorable. Anyone can relate to one of the Greasers, and the narration feels intimate as we see Ponyboy deal with loyalty and violence as such a young child. Again, this is a novel everyone has to read at some point, and then watch the movie because it is the best book-to-tv adaptation I have ever seen. 

Trigger Warnings: Gang Violence, Death, Abuse

1. The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood

The Handmaid’s Tale is a dystopian fiction novel set in a near-future New England in a patriarchal society, Gilead. Offred is the protagonist, one of the “Handmaids,” who are forced to have children for the “Commanders,” who are the ruling class in Gilead. Offred’s perspective offers a rebellious nature of acting out against oppressive patriarchal power structures. The novel is social commentary on women’s rights and a not far-off prediction of what has come in our society. Every time I read this novel, I reflect on another aspect of life. I read this before the overturn of Roe v. Wade, but I know reading it now that there would be even more uncanny similarities to the society we are living in today. Everyone should read this novel to understand how the patriarchy limits women’s rights; specifically, men should read this to reflect on their privilege and power to ensure they do not enact the similar behaviors done by the Commanders. The cautionary lens offers social critical reflection of religion, women’s rights, the power of language, reproductive rights, and politics. Reading this novel leads to difficult, but necessary conversations needed now, more than ever, in our society. I’ve read this novel three times, and I will continue to read, and hopefully teach it to my future students. The show is also a great adaptation that reflects the similar themes, so if you do not want to read the book, then I urge you to watch the television series on Hulu.

Trigger Warnings: Rape, Violence, Abuse, Prostitution, Oppressive Government, Family Separation

Marisa Silk

Stonehill '24

Marisa Silk is a senior at Stonehill College studying English and Secondary Education. Marisa is the Stonehill Her Campus Chapter's Senior Editor. Marisa is from Norwood, MA. Her interests include reading, writing, watching tv, and listening to Taylor Swift. After college, Marisa wants to be a high school English teacher, while also writing professionally. Marisa hopes to share her love of reading, writing, television, and experiences with the rest of Her Campus readers.