This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Does anyone else feel like they are in a style rut?  Maybe it’s just me, but I see people all over my social media feed wearing the cutest casual daily fits. When I look at my closet, I just think “blah.” However, there are several style hacks that I’ve found to help me transform my basic fits to another level. 

Here are my top 5:

1.Cute socks

Now I’m not talking about no-show socks. In my opinion, any sneaker or boot look can be instantly elevated by a cute sock peeking out.  My favorites in my “sockdrobe” (yes, this is a thing) are white ribbed sports socks and neutral-colored thinner socks with scalloped edges.

2. Layers

There is something about layers that really makes an outfit feel more intentional. Whether it’s a sweater, jacket, long-sleeve shirt, or vest, layering adds more dimension, visual interest, and texture to your ensemble. One of my favorite ways to layer is by adding a simple white long-sleeve top under any sweater or sweatshirt.  

3. Cargo Pants

If you are sick of wearing leggings and do not feel like sitting in uncomfortable jeans all day like me, I’m about to put you on to my latest obsession. Not only are cargo pants extremely comfortable, but they automatically look way more interesting and visually appealing than other basic pants options. My favorite pair is from Old Navy, but they are super easy to find at Marshalls or TJ Maxx!

4. Jewelry

I’ve been loving seeing people experiment more with jewelry lately! Whether it’s mixing metals, wearing bolder charms, or layering pieces, jewelry is such a fun way to express your style. Even a simple loungewear outfit can be upgraded with the addition of some jewelry.

5. Matching Sets

Monochromatic looks have been extremely popular these past few seasons, and I am totally here for it! Feel like wearing sweatpants and a sweatshirt, but still want to look like you put in some effort?  Matching sets are the perfect way to go!  I get so many compliments anytime I wear a matching sweatshirt and sweatpants combo, and the best part is that I feel like I’m wearing pajamas while doing it!  Some of my favorite places to get a matching set are at H&M and Target.

Megan Swezey

Stonehill '24

Meg is currently a senior at Stonehill College in Easton, Massachusetts. Aside from writing, she has equal obsessions with dancing, hiking, sushi, jean jackets, Spotify playlists, and her two cute pups. Peace out!