Taylor’s Tunes: the Rebecca Black trend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hey Everyone, 

Recently, Thando of Thando’s Tunes stepped down from her position as a music blogger from Her Campus St. Olaf. Although she is no longer penning new posts, I strongly encourage you to check out a playlist she made back in November that includes artists ranging from Belle & Sebastian to Phoenix:
 http://www.hercampus.com/school/stolaf/thandos-tunes Great Stuff. With that being said, I will be replacing Thando in hopes of introducing you to new music, reminiscing about old favorites, and discussing current events in the music world. And with a sentence that vague, how could you not want to read on for more details?

I figured I’d go big with my first post and talk about the latest YouTube sensation, Rebecca Black and her single “Friday.” Black burst into cultural relevance just a few days ago. As of Tuesday morning, her video has over five million hits. Simply type “reb” into Google for the search engine to suggest her name. Login to Facebook and you can’t miss her. Girl is blowing up. For all of you who haven’t been graced with Miz Black’s presence, you’re welcome.

I’ll let that sink in. I recommend watching it twice to pick up all the subtle gems. The nighttime car scene is my favorite. Nothing makes an artist look better than surrounding her with a hazy green screen shot of an indistinct city and a car full of racially ambiguous girls in braces who look like they’re driving home from their friends Bat Mitzvah. Speaking of Bat Mitzvahs, when did they start letting 13 year olds drive? Just sayin’. 

Also, what is the importance of the front seat/backseat internal struggle Rebecca? Judging from your body weight I assume it is still technically illegal for you to be riding shotgun. Or are you offering a metaphor for life success? Front seat is seizing opportunity and rising to fame while backseat is passive contentment? Rebecca, I would say you’re pretty famous, yet you chose the backseat so I guess we’ll just let the metaphor theory simmer.

One final question: WHO IS THE RAPPER!? Seriously! No intro, no by-line on the YouTube page, no nothing. Just slides into the video, spits a few lines (including more about the backseat, ugh) and drives away into viral infamy. The ultimate X-factor.

I could go on taking potshots at the now notorious Black but it’s so easy that I feel bad.  Instead, let’s delve in to Black’s mysterious rise to fame. Searching Black yields articles entitled “Who is Rebecca Black and why is she still trending?” from OK Magazine, “The most epically-awful tune of the year” from Seattle Post Intelligencerand “Who is Rebecca Black? And is she really bigger than Japan?” from the Sydney Morning Herald. Yikes. Now I really do feel bad. (See below for article links)

From my research, all roads seem to point towards the ARK Music Factory. I mean duh, I could have told you that. Who isn’t ARK producing these days. Oh…wait…uhh…hmmm.
I’m kidding of course. I had never heard of ARK (I’m going to assume most people hadn’t) until a few days ago but here is what they have to say about themselves:

“ARK’s main objective is to discover future #1 artists and produce the next outstanding star. Our established relationships within the entertainment industry umbrella keeps us committed to producing solid results for the artists’ career, whether it be an independent release/distribution, a major label signing or an original licensing opportunity on Film/TV. Our team at ARK have certainly recognized that raw talent alone is sufficient to get noticed. However, to further advance as a professional within the music industry, it is absolutely essential for an artist to have hit singles and a well executed image – all within that marketable package!”   (See: http://arkmusicfactory.com/page/about-ark )

Here is where I throw out the word sketch. Poking around their “Artists” page. I see more girls who bear similarities to Black: Young. Conventionally pretty. Choker necklaces. Basically a lot of the characteristics and fashion sense you had in middle school and now laugh about with your friends. More importantly though, I have never heard of any of these girls but I assume they have similar videos to Black lurking in the bowels of YouTube, waiting to be discovered. 

Stepping back, it is a pretty sad sight. I just imagine these girls with their bleached-blond, front-banged, Virginia Slim smoking mothers loading up the mini van somewhere in Tennessee and driving to Hollywood in order to be “discovered.” They make it to ARK, cut a track and post it to YouTube. A few weeks later they hear their song is a hit and rush online to read what people are saying only to be greeted by harsh criticisms (I recognize this post is no different). I’m just left with one question: Do girls like Black realize the auto-tune assisted “songs” they are paid to sing are will almost certainly damage their credibility and any future endeavors they may pursue? Or are they just diluted into thinking they are the next big thing by ARK and companies of the like? 

There have been many Rebecca Black’s in the past and as long as the Internet is around, there will be many more to come. Speaking for all web users out there: we so excited, we we we so excited for the next YouTube sensation. 

Real quick before you go, here is a legitimate song from a legitimate band that I actually enjoy:

Also, click the tumblr link below for some hilarious “Friday” GIFs.  

Rebecca Black News Article Results: 
http://www.ok.co.uk/worldinaction/view/33190/Who-is-Rebecca-Black-and-why-is-she-STILL-trending-/

http://www.seattlepi.com/pop/437113_154951-blogcritics.org.html?source=mypi

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/who-is-rebecca-black-and-is-she-really-bigger-than-japan-20110315-1bvkj.html

Bri attends St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota and is majoring in Psychology with concentrations in Media Studies and Women's Studies. She is most passionate about writing, traveling, cooking, hand-written letters and cheering on the Minnesota Vikings and Wisconsin Badgers. In her free time, she enjoys running, photography, attempting to blog and spending time with her amazing family and friends. She is currently an Arts & Entertainment Editor for the St. Olaf College newspaper with the lovely Lucy Casale and aspires to further explore the field of journalism after graduation.