Fram Fram to Fitness: How to get the most out of your elliptical workout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

The elliptical machine is by far my favorite piece of equipment. Why? Because it’s so easy to use! Honestly, some of the weight machines confuse me just looking at them. Also, ellipticals have a lot to offer. There are a variety of programs targeting different muscles, and you can even bring you abs and arms into the mix. Also, for people like me who get shin splints from running, throwing in a low impact activity like an elliptical is a very good option.

Sometimes, though, it’s hard to find the balance between not even breaking a sweat and tiring out in 10 minutes. So I went on a Google scavenger hunt to find some tips to turn an average elliptical workout into an efficient toner and calorie burner.

1. On a scale of 1 to 10, you should be working at about a level 7 resistance, or a resistance during which you’re challenged but you would still be able to carry on a conversation with someone. Just make sure you’re raising your heart rate. *Only work out at a super-high resistance with a slow pace for a few minutes at a time.
  2. Start out your workout at a low resistance for about 5 minutes, and then gradually increase in one to two minute intervals until you reach a level 7. Try to stay at this level for at least 30 minutes. According to fitness guru Ellen Barrett, the average 150-pound woman can burn 300 calories at this level in 30 minutes. Sounds good to me!
  3. If you want to work in that high resistance that I mentioned before, try an interval workout. Personal trainer Tom Holland recommends a 1:2 ratio of work to rest, e.g. one minute on a hard level and two minutes on an easier level.
  4. Have good posture! Don’t slouch against the machine! This is probably a sign that you’re overworking yourself anyway. Instead, keep your shoulders back, your head forward, and keep those abdominals engaged!
  5. Pay attention to the display. It’s good to monitor your heart rate and make sure you’re in the “fat burning zone.” Also monitor the calories that you’re burning. Personally, the latter always puts me in a good mood at the end!
  6. Try messing around with the ramp. The ellipticals in Tostrud show what muscles in your legs you’re working at different ramp positions. Just make sure you’re at a comfortable level and it can’t hurt.

My family recently got an elliptical machine at home, so even though the weather will hopefully be nicer (only five days left of winter!), if I’m too lazy to go for a run over Spring Break I can just hop on the elliptical! I can even watch TV or study for my organic chemistry test coming up (not quite so likely…) while I workout. It’s so convenient that as long as you know how to use it efficiently, you’ll be burning fat in no time.

Have a fabulous Spring Break!
                                                                                             Emily

Photo credit: http://www.fitsugar.com/Beginning-Elliptical-Workout-7136874

Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com