Polar Bear Plunge ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stockton chapter.

Winter: a time of hot chocolate and sledding. A time to stay indoors and enjoying our blankets and Netflix. A time in which you would never dream of running into the freezing ocean, in the middle of February. That is, not until Seaside Heights holds the annual Polar Bear Plunge.

On February 20, 2016, I raised $100 to plunge into the water. Except, it was more then just plunging into the water.  I raised the money for a cause that affects my family and many more. I raised the $100 for the Special Olympics of New Jersey.

The morning started as a normal morning, going to Wawa and then driving to the beach for registration. My roommate and I spent the morning on the boardwalk petting all of the dogs. And then it came time to go on the beach. It was 60 degrees outside. I wore shorts and a tank top. I knew it would be cold, but I knew that the fewer clothes I wear the easier I could change out of the wet, cold, heavy clothing. We got on the beach and were surrounded by other fraternity brothers from all over the state. When they started getting closer to 1PM, we moved towards the ocean. We stood by as they sang the National Anthem, and when they finished we chanted USA and counted down to ten. I bolted into the ocean.

The adrenaline was pumping through my body and I didn’t even acknowledge how cold the ocean was. I kept running farther in and dove into the ocean and ran back out. I had too much adrenaline to even realize how cold it was. The day was fabulous. I loved the cause and therefore, loved the day. It is something so crazy and absurd that I continue to go every year. With such a great cause, I believe that it is an event that everyone should go to, either to plunge or as support, or just to hear the stories of the plungers!

Founder, Editor-in-Chief & Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Stockton University School of Business - Marketing Concentration | Stockton University