Leonardo DiCaprio Finally Wins His Oscar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stockton chapter.

On February 28th I, along with millions of other people around the world, stood up to give Leonardo DiCaprio the standing ovation he has been waiting 23 years for.

Leo finally got his Oscar and it felt like the world finally got theirs too. He won an Oscar for Best Actor for the movie The Revenant.

If you didn’t know, Leo has been nominated six times for this category. Those nominations include his roles in the movies Blood Diamond, The Wolf of Wall Street, which included 2 nominations, The Aviator, What’s Eating Gilbert Grape, and The Revenant, the movie he eventually won for. According to Leo, “Making Revenant was about man’s relationship to the natural world.” He then went on to speak about the recent climate change, a topic that has been greatly neglected by some.

The year 2015 has been our hottest year to date and Leo let the world know that during his speech. He also went on to say “Climate change is real and it is the most collective threat to our entire species.” He added, “We need to support leaders around the world who do not speak for the big polluters or the big corporations, but for all of humanity.” His speech continued with  shedding the light on the indigenous and underprivileged people of the world. Leonardo DiCaprio took time out of his speech to make a public service announcement concerning climate change, the ongoing presidential election and the mistreatment of people all around the world- and we loved it.

It has been a long time coming for the beloved DiCaprio and he knows it. The many years of hard work and being a good sport has paid off and although he always seems to be content and accomplished with his work, with or without an award, we know he absolutely loves this honor.

In the words of Leo “You can dream of a moment for years and still somehow miss it when it comes. You’ve got to reach through the flames and take it, or lose it forever. I took it.” – This Boy’s Life (1993)