To Be a Woman Is to Perform: A Comparison of the Evolving but Ever-Present Act of Womanhood in Series ‘Fleabag’ and Artwork ‘Flaming June’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stevens chapter.

B2TeRQxERmoTbg2JBaBRx8gbiIY CSVSZDvcH5rRnCt906sCI2dYKLOVczpN7o5v 9AaAkFv3jjKtcIAOncWHTItP6LUC4oUe eXy7LuFjKCSsLE9O4sDPfmpa5UwwSnIIaF nv3WnXv1NRULOccy Q

“To be a woman is to perform,” a poignant reflection that encapsulates the intricate dance of femininity through time. Embedded within the strokes of Frederic Leighton’s Flaming June, a masterpiece frozen in the late 19th century, is the unfolding of a sentiment. Here, a poised woman’s performance on the canvas not only invites contemplation on societal expectations but also prompts reflection on the ever-present male gaze. This profound notion seamlessly resonates within the modern narrative crafted by Phoebe Waller-Bridge in “Fleabag,” where the titular character defies conventions. In exploring these artistic expressions, we unravel the layers of performative femininity, drawing connections between the timeless allure of Flaming June and the unapologetic self-expression in “Fleabag,” offering a glimpse into the enduring complexities of being a woman.

Flaming June, an iconic painting by the Victorian artist Frederic Leighton, stands as a masterpiece that transcends time, captivating viewers with its vibrant colors, meticulous composition, and evocative portrayal of femininity. Created in 1895, this work of art continues to resonate and invite contemplation, exploring themes of sensuality, timelessness, and the nuanced facets of the female experience.

At the heart of this painting, femininity is depicted with sensuality and grace. The central figure, a woman, exudes an air of confidence and inner beauty. Her relaxed posture and dreamy expression capture a sense of contentment and tranquility that are often associated with femininity. The way she reclines, with one arm behind her head and the other resting gently on her thigh, evokes a sense of softness and grace.

The flowing, orange gown worn by the woman in the painting plays a pivotal role in accentuating her femininity. The artist’s attention to detail in rendering the fabric, the intricate folds, and the way it caresses her body not only exemplify Leighton’s mastery but also enhance the feminine allure. The fabric’s gentle movement and its soft embrace of the woman’s curves emphasize the elegance and delicacy associated with femininity.

As our gaze lingers on the woman, it becomes evident that she is not alone on this metaphorical stage. An unseen audience, though absent from the canvas, hovers in the background — an implied observer whose expectations shape the woman’s performance. In the context of the late 19th century, this implied observer is closely linked to the pervasive influence of the male gaze. Leighton’s creation prompts contemplation on the societal gaze that women navigated during this era, where cultural norms and expectations were often dictated by a male-dominated perspective.

The woman’s poised performance, captured in a moment frozen in time, hints at the complex interplay between personal agency and the external expectations of an implied audience dominated by the male gaze. The subtle nuances of her pose and the deliberate choice of attire underscore the historical pressure on women to conform to ideals perpetuated by this gaze. In the theater of societal expectations, the woman becomes both the performer and the subject, negotiating her identity within the constraints of a prevailing cultural lens that often reduces women to objects of desire.

Here, Flaming June serves as a visual commentary on the challenges women faced as they grappled with the expectations imposed by the male gaze. The painting not only captures the external scrutiny but also prompts viewers to reflect on the woman’s internal world — the thoughts, emotions, and desires that exist beneath the surface of her poised exterior. In doing so, Leighton encourages us to confront the intricate dynamics at play, where the female subject is both the performer for and the subject of the male gaze, navigating a delicate balance between personal expression and external expectations.

In drawing a modern parallel to the evocative portrayal in Flaming June, the acclaimed television series “Fleabag” emerges as a striking contemporary narrative that echoes the spirit of unapologetic self-expression. Created by Phoebe Waller-Bridge, “Fleabag” introduces viewers to a protagonist who defies societal expectations and challenges the performative nature of femininity. In the dynamic character of Fleabag, we find a resonant contrast to the poised woman in Flaming June, as she unapologetically navigates the complexities of modern womanhood.

“Fleabag’s” unfiltered exploration of her identity extends to her relationships, particularly in her interactions with the “Hot Priest” in the second season. The character’s dynamic with the priest goes beyond traditional romantic narratives, delving into complex themes of desire, guilt, and spiritual connection. “Fleabag’s” candid conversations with the audience offer a unique perspective on her internal struggles, allowing viewers to witness her unfiltered thoughts and emotions.

Where Flaming June hints at a woman’s performance for an unseen observer, “Fleabag” breaks the fourth wall, inviting the audience into the intimate recesses of her thoughts. This narrative technique transforms the viewing experience into a shared conversation, dismantling traditional power dynamics between the observed and the observer. “Fleabag’s” unfiltered dialogue and raw authenticity stand as a stark departure from the poised femininity depicted in the painting, challenging societal norms that have historically confined women to prescribed roles.

The central theme of unapologetic self-expression in “Fleabag” is encapsulated in the protagonist’s name itself. The moniker “Fleabag” conveys a sense of irreverence, signaling a refusal to conform to societal expectations. Much like the woman in Flaming June, “Fleabag” embodies a contemporary iteration of the complexities inherent in femininity. However, unlike the passive grace of the painted subject, “Fleabag” is dynamic, flawed, and unapologetically herself.

In “Fleabag’s” unfiltered portrayal, the series navigates issues of sexuality, grief, and self-discovery with an unapologetic openness. This unvarnished authenticity becomes a powerful commentary on the expectations placed on women in the modern age. “Fleabag’s” refusal to conform to conventional standards challenges the notion of performative femininity, dismantling the expectations that women should adhere to a curated image for societal acceptance.

In contrast to the muted sensuality of Flaming June, “Fleabag’s” journey explores the messiness and contradictions inherent in modern womanhood. The character confronts her flaws, desires, and struggles with a fearless honesty that resonates with audiences. Her refusal to perform for societal approval becomes a contemporary echo of the timeless call for authenticity, challenging the pervasive influence of external expectations on women.

“Fleabag” and Flaming June converge in their exploration of femininity, yet they represent distinct eras and mediums. Together, they prompt viewers to reflect on the evolution of societal expectations and the ways in which women navigate the complexities of self-expression. Whether frozen in a moment of poised elegance or engaging in an unfiltered dialogue with the audience, both the painted subject and Fleabag invite us to reconsider the narratives surrounding women, urging a shift towards acceptance, authenticity, and the unapologetic embrace of one’s true self.

Janet is a 4/4 Computer Engineering major at Stevens Institute of Technology. Her interests include art, photography, and literature, and in her free time she likes to read, bake, and hang out with friends!