This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STCU chapter.

Yes, I am one of those individuals who begins singing holiday music as soon as we enter the month of November. This senior year fall semester has been everything that I wish it wasn’t–busy, distant, and did I mention busy? Also, I’m not a big fan of Halloween and the only way to get through it to begin caroling in my head and thinking about the mashed potatoes I’ll be devouring in just a few short weeks. The holiday season can be stressful for many individuals, but for me it is truly the happiest time of the year. 

LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW. 

The beauty of the holiday season in Minnesota, I’d say, is the snow! For traveling purposes it is the worst but it just can’t be the holiday season if there is not a single flake of snow in the air. 

FELIZ NAVIDAD 

As a Latina and a Spanish speaker I get so annoyed when I hear th popular Christmas song of Feliz Navidad at every shopping center that I go too but you know what I’ll get over it because I can easily go to my phone and turn on whatever holiday music I want because it’s that time of year (where I won’t be judged).

FAMILY 

This is really my number one reason why I enjoy the holidays so so so so much! The United States is so diverse that each household most likely celebrates the holidays in a different way. At my Mexican household it isn’t the holiday season if there is no ponche, Abuelita’s hot chocolate, rancheras, and the list goes on! The joy of leaving college for a few weeks is going back and spending much needed time with my family–yes, even if my brother is in attendance. Annoying siblings are still loved on holidays!

Community

Attending church during the holiday season is just the best. Everyone is usually in a good mood and the community tries to make most of it even in current injustices occurring in the country and world. Nothing like a warming community on Christmas Eve. 

GIFTS

As I get older and know how to properly manage money, I’ve realized that giving versus receiving feels a lot better. As a young person I recall asking for so many things from cash to items I would never ever get (but you know I tried) but thinking that the holiday season brought so much good with materials. Now, I enjoy and understand the importance of giving. Giving does not have to be materialistic items but rather time, a helping hand, a listening ear, or even a warm hug! 

GET EDUCATED

Thanksgiving is still a holiday that the United States celebrates for reasons that I’d rather not touch to much on. Colonizers, pilgrims, whatever you wish to call them treated Native Americans horribly and pretty much stole land that was not meant to be theirs. I’d say get a book and learn about this holiday, sit down, and read it out loud with the family. Let us not ignore the massacre of the Native American people done by the hands of white folks of the United States. My family has turned this holiday in remember the wrongdoings of this country and how we can be better for generations to come, and yes we give thanks to all the good in the world that has been done. 

Hallmark

Can we just enjoy the fact that even though Hallmark movies are so cheesy they add sprinkle to the holiday season? Let us rejoice and give thanks to this wonderful channel. Amen.

I know the list can go on! What do you enjoy about the holiday season?

Andrea Duarte-Alonso is a grad from Saint Catherine University where she received her bachelor's of Art in Political Science, Women's Studies, and English. She founded HC STCU in order to include voices that are hardly ever represented in media. Andrea is a storyteller, writer, and a political enthusiast. Her areas of interest lie in writing (check her website storiesfromunheardvoices.com that was created for her community), traveling, and fighting for social justice issues.