Your Guide To A Girls’ Day Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stanford chapter.

As you’re we’re all gearing up for the start of the new year, yours truly understands the need to look and feel your best, no matter how stacked your schedule looks. Having fun is key, so, I’ve got a few places for you all to splurge on as we all return to campus. Grab a girlfriend for a mini-adventure that you’ll both appreciate or catch up with a group of gals on one of these fun outings!

Restaurants:

In Mountain View:  Sushi Tomi

DO NOT mistake this for Sushi Tomo. With an O.

Sushi Tomi is an unassuming, small family restaurant off of Castro Street in Mountain View with the freshest fish in the area. These people focus less on the presentation/fried cream cheese aspect and let the quality of the fish speak for itself. Plus, all those Omega-3’s will keep your skin and hair looking fabulous, I promise!

Come early, as it can be hard to grab a seat, especially on Friday and Saturday nights.

Address: 635 West Dana Street, Mountain View

In Palo Alto: La Strada Ristorante

Having walked by this place on University many times, I decided to drop in one evening with some company. Lo and behold, this little bistro had much to offer, pleasing my ¼ Italian self — just try not to carb out on their amazing bread and tomato paste spread before your meal comes. At $15-$24 an entrée, it’s not that bad for Palo Alto prices. Recommended for a cozy date night.

Address: 335 University Avenue, Palo Alto

Pampering:

In Menlo Park: Charisma Salon

It’s no secret that nail salons are a bit pricier in this area — just ask someone from Los Angeles, or in my case, someone from South Florida. However, I don’t mind paying up for a pedicure if I know my feet will stay flawless, extending the amount of days in a row I can wear flip flops to class. At Charisma Salon, a “standard” pedicure includes an exfoliating brown sugar leg-scrub treatment complete with a lemon squeeze, and yes, your feet will stay perfect for a month. You can’t go wrong with any technician in the salon. The only downside: they discourage credit card payments, even though plastic is still accepted.

Address: 203 El Camino Real, Menlo Park

In Palo Alto: Empire Vintage Clothing

Well, not pampering. But shopping is considered a vital part of the care and keeping of me, sooo….

Empire Vintage Clothing describes themselves as the “vintage hookup” for the Stanford campus. In case you didn’t catch this past year’s jaw-dropping Sustainable Fashion Show, Empire Vintage Clothing offers the hippest, chicest fashions from yesteryear at reasonable prices. If you think vintage is “dirty”, any EVC loyalist would urge you to suspend that thought for a couple hours and browse some amazing clothing with true character this fall.

Address: 443 Waverley Street, Palo Alto

Essentials:

In Los Altos/Mountain View: Daiso

This place…where do I begin? For those who don’t yet understand the wonder that Daiso is, Daiso is an extremely cheap, Japan-based dollar store filled with oodles of goodies and useful household, kitchen, food and beauty items for us collegiettes™ on a budget — nearly every item is a $1.50. I’m a big fan of arranging presents in fun ways, and Daiso has hundreds of products that spice up any gift, from obnoxious bows to fun bags to hilarious stickers.  A visit here is well worth your time and skipping another trip to Target. Also, the erasers in cute sushi shapes – oh my gosh.

Address: 550 Showers Drive, Suite 1, Mountain View