Prevent Weight Gain Over the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stanford chapter.

Let’s face it: we’re in the midst of the holiday season. Holiday season = delicious treats galore. All that food may taste incredible, but what about your waistline? Packing on the pounds over the holidays is not inevitable. There are some strategies you can employ rather than plunging excitedly forward without a thought in mind beyond those sugar cookies. Here are five quick tips to take along with you.

1. Steer clear of liquid calories whenever possible.

You know what I’m talking about. Eggnog, hot chocolate and especially all that alcohol…. It’s neither realistic nor fun to try to abstain from all of that, but if you’re going to drink your calories, save them for the good ones and minimize the other sources for the time being – soda and juice, for example. You’d be surprised at how quickly the calories add up and how little they do for your satiety.

2. Don’t submit to the urge to clean out your plate.

Okay, so you got a little overeager with your food and now you can’t even see the plate. But don’t fall into the starving-children-in-Africa mindset and think that you need to chow down every last crumb. What’s that going to do for you? Ah yes, make you feel sick and nauseous. Remember: there will always be food tomorrow.

3. Load up on protein.

Protein, more than carbs or fat, is the best at keeping you full. If you know you’re going to gorge during dinner, prepare throughout the day by loading up on foods like poultry, meats and eggs. Damage control, people. And when you feast, make sure you have some kind of protein in there and try to eat that first.

4. Do NOT try to compensate.

On the same note, I strongly discourage ramping up your exercise either before or after feasting. And the next day, don’t starve yourself to try and balance out all those calories you ingested; instead, go right back to your normal eating plan. Keep in mind that this is a holiday. How often do you get to enjoy these yummy foods? Take it for what it is and then move on. Compensatory behavior is unhealthy and sets you up for a cycle of eat, starve, eat, starve. That’s one step forward, three steps back. I guarantee you that you’ll pack on even more weight this way.

5. Remember what the holidays are all about.  

As much as it may seem like it is, it’s not about the food. Cherish your time with your loved ones instead of circling the dessert table like a hawk. Take a moment to think about the blessings in your life and all that you’re grateful for. You don’t have to stuff yourself silly to have a fulfilling (no pun intended) holiday season.