This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stanford chapter.

Before I came to college, I never wore leggings.

I was fine with girls wearing them under a dress but, of course, some decided to take it a step further – wearing leggings as pants. I stared at the bold collegiettes wearing itty bitty t-shirts and leggings, wondering how they let themselves walk around with all their junk hanging out. By junk, I namely mean their lower assets: thighs, calves, and of course the booty.  They may well be God’s most fashionable gift to men, as they leave nothing to the imagination. 

Then came the new and thicker alternative: jeggings. I considered them and was eventually won over since, as any Stanford girl knows, it’s super uncomfortable biking in jeans (especially when they’re just out of the dryer).

So now, as a legging/jegging convert, I feel it is my duty to impart some general rules of etiquette when wearing them. Trust me, it’ll save us some sore sights and you some embarrassment:

Cover that bum.
Many legging offenders have become too comfortable with giving us a free show. Wear an oversized shirt or sweater, a mini dress or tunic over the leggings. Jeggings do not require bum coverage, but still, please use your discretion.

Don’t be afraid to experiment.
There are many different colors and textures for leggings and jeggings. I purchased corduroy and suede jeggings for the past winter season and they provided a little something extra while maintaining comfort. There are many different legging textures at Urban Outfitters that could come in handy for those girls night outs.

Think about your height.
There is also the issue of length – whether to sport the calf or ankle length legging. If a shorter girl decides to go with the wrong length for her size and shape, it could ruin her entire figure.

Wear the proper undergarments.
This is an important one ladies! Your preference from bikini underwear to thongs doesn’t matter. It simply must give you no panty lines. Stores like Victoria’s Secret can help you out in this department, and if you are in a pinch then Target is a fabulous option as well. There is nothing like a VPL to ruin an outfit.

So go forth my fellow legging-lovers! Just keep these tips in mind and, most importantly, make it work for you.