Gym Gems: The ABC’s Of The ARC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stanford chapter.

I have a confession to make: I’m an endorphin addict. Some people call me a gym rat, but I’d say I’m more like a dog—if I don’t run every day, I get into trouble. That said, I have 5 tips to share about my home-away-from-home, the Arrillaga Recreation Center. Read on!

1. Always sign up: If you’re using a treadmill or elliptical machine, don’t forget to sign it out on the dry-erase board first. If you don’t, you run the risk of an awkward encounter with the person who did sign it out.
  2. Bacteria: this goes for any gym, but especially for one on a college campus—mats, and machines are covered with illness-causing bacteria. Wipe down your equipment (that includes weight machines and free weights!) before and after you use it to stay healthy.
  3. Creativity: Don’t get stuck in a rut! Just because you’re at the gym doesn’t mean your workout has to be boring. Instead of 30 minutes straight on the treadmill, try a speed workout, intervals, or a fun addition. My 3 favorites?

·         Pyramid Sprints: 10 minute warm up, 1 min fast, 1 min rest, 2 min fast, 1 min rest, 3/1, 2/1,
1/1, 1/1, 5 minute cool down. It’s challenging, but fun.
·         Jump Roping: Add 5 minutes of jump roping to the front (or back) of your workout to kick-start your cardio. If you’re just starting out, do as many consecutive jumps as you can; if you’re a pro, go the whole 5 minutes—2 minutes easy, 1 minute for speed, 1 minute easy, 1 minute for speed.
·         Arm(y) workout: this one is all about arms. Using medium-difficulty free weights (between 6 and 12 pounds), do 20 bicep curls, 20 front raises (feet shoulder-width apart, palms facing your thighs, lift the free weights from rest position to shoulder-height, pause, and release), 20 push-ups (on your knees if you need to!). Repeat this 3 times.

1. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. There are at least 2 trainers in the gym at all times, and they love to answer any questions you might have about your workout, the equipment, or anything health-related. Freaking out about free weights? Bamboozled by the Bosu ball? Pick up the equipment, walk it over to the front desk, and ask, “What is the best way to use this?” Then go for it!
  2. Enjoy your workout—whether you’re a seasoned triathlete or an exercise novice, you can enjoy the gym. Base your workout on what feels good to you, and be realistic about your fitness goals. Just because the guy next to you is benching 250 doesn’t mean you have to, too. Go at your own pace and have fun with it!