Get the 411 on Sorority Rush at Stanford

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stanford chapter.

It’s almost spring quarter, which means it’s time to get geared up for rush (or recruitment as the ISC prefers). A lot of people that come to Stanford have the opportunity to talk to their friends at other schools about the rush processes that they went through earlier in the fall.  You’ve heard how stressful and dramatic it is elsewhere, so no doubt you’re getting anxious about what it’s like here on the farm.  Don’t worry, we’re here to help.

Why should you rush?

Joining a sorority is one of the best ways to meet girls that share your interests. Especially if you feel like you haven’t found a niche, didn’t make enough friends or got trapped in a lame freshman dorm, give rush a try. I never thought I would ever be in a sorority in college, but it is so low-key here that anyone can do it, and there is a great sorority for everyone. Spring quarter is going to be the best time of your freshman year, and joining a sorority can make it that much more exciting.

How does it work?
Night #1 (Open House): The first night every girl attends seven parties, one for each sorority. You’ll talk to girls from each sorority for about five minutes and watch a video that each sorority makes for you. At the end of each night, you will be ranking the chapters. After tonight, you’ll rank your top five sororities out of the seven.

Night #2 (Invite #1): The second night you will attend up to five parties. This is based on the five that you selected the previous night, and on whether or not you are invited back by those five.  On this night, each sorority performs a skit and you’ll also talk to more girls.  After Skit Night, you rank your top four sororities.

Night #3 (Invite #2): The third night is philanthropy night, when the sororities you return to explain their charity work and do a craft. Again, you will talk to more girls and attend up to four sorority parties depending on how many invite you back. Afterwards you will narrow down your preferences to two sororities.

Final night (Preference Night): The final night, preference night, is much more formal. The sororities will dress up and you’ll have more personal conversations with the girls to address any concerns that you are having. At the end of the night, you will choose your first and second choice. The next day, you’ll receive a bid from either your first choice, your second choice or neither.

I know this sounds scary, but if you just take it one day at a time, it’s really not that bad.  For the most part, rush works out for everyone — even the girls that didn’t get their first choice.  Plus, you’re meeting LOTS of new Stanford girls!  And if at any point you want out, you can drop out of rush at any time.

What should I wear?
Honestly, put on whatever you feel comfortable in.  You might hear rumors that designer dresses and heels are required for rush, but let me assure you, this is soooo not the case.  Remember, we’re at Stanford.  Wear whatever fits you best, and choose an outfit that’s not going to distract from your personality as you’re engaging in conversation with someone.  Personally I went for outfits on the level of “sundress” paired with sandals deemed dressier than Rainbows. There is a wide spectrum of outfits at Rush.  People do wear heels, and to your relief, people also sport jeans. It’s all up to you.  Preference night, the last night, is the most formal. I would suggest saving your nicest outfit for this occasion.

What should I do to calm myself down?
There’s a ton of awkward downtime in between parties.  This is the perfect opportunity to psych yourself out, OR you can avoid this altogether.  Make a friend in line. Everyone around you has the same concerns, you might as well talk about them. The ISC suggests talking to your Recruitment Guide (Rho Gamma), a disaffiliated member of a Stanford ISC sorority whose job is to be there and listen when you’re nervous or upset. Along with friends and Rho Gammas, you can also reach out to the ISC Executive Board (except on Preference night, where a code of silence is enforced).

How am I going to talk to strangers?!?!
The girls you are talking to just want to get to know you. This isn’t like other schools where girls are dismissed on appearance. Just be yourself, find common interests, and act like you’re just trying to make friends. Be talkative, but don’t overpower the conversation. Here are a few talking points:
·    Events
·    Living in a housed vs. unhoused sorority
·    Living with all girls
·    Sisterhood
·    Philanthropy
·    What made you join this sorority?
·    What do you like most about this sorority?

You might want to stay away from topics of….
·    Boys
·    Drinking
·    Partying

What else should I know?
•  Rush is a long process.  The first night is especially draining.  It’s all about endurance. Go into every party like it’s your first and make sure to eat dinner beforehand and bring a snack to munch on in between parties. 
•  Girls are nice! No one is going to be mean or rude to you.
•  Go in with an open mind!  Don’t enter rush with predetermined preferences.  Feel out each Sorority for yourself and decide which places have the girls you are most compatible with. 

Inter-Sorority Council Recruitment is now open on the ISC website until March 30 at midnight. Register here: http://www.stanford.edu/group/ISC/

They also have a lot more formal information about the rush process, including details on each night and the different sororities.