Denim: Thinking out of the Box

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stanford chapter.

Denim! It’s everywhere you look. Not only are skinny jeans every girl’s quick and easy go-to for a day of classes, but match them with some heels and a summery tank top, and they become the perfect outfit for a night on the town. Versatility is the key to denim’s appeal, but it doesn’t stop with skinny jeans. While you can always trust your favorite worn-down pair of jeans to be there for any occasion, don’t be afraid to experiment with different pieces of denim as well. Here are a few ways to spice up your spring closet by thinking outside the box.

1. Denim Dress

Take denim to a new feminine level with a summery dress. This piece can really stand on its own with a naturally toned pair of heels, or add a belt and boots for a more country-western look.

2. White Jeans

White denim exerts an air of confidence, and this clean, refreshing look is perfect for the spring. Whether you choose to sport a great pair of shorts or long pants, one easy way to pull together this sophisticated outfit is to contrast the white with a cute top in grey, brown or black tones.

3. Colored Jeans

Who says jeans have to be blue? Denim exists in all different shades including oranges, purples, greens and reds (one of my personal favorites!). One warning when wearing colored jeans is to color block. Feel free to experiment with different contrasts, but make sure to limit yourself to two or so bright colors for one outfit.

4. Wide Legger

This retro trend from the 70’s is making a comeback in fashion!  These jeans make a statement and all you have to do is add a t-shirt. A rule of thumb to follow: if your bottom article of clothing is looser, go with a fitted top to avoid a frumpy look.

5. High Risers

Another retro style to try. While low-rise jeans are great for making butts look small, high-waisted jeans make legs look lean and long, and tummies look flatter.

6. Perfect Chambray Shirt

So it’s not exactly “denim” but it sure looks like it! This light and soft fabric is great for the unpredictable spring weather in northern Cali.

7. Jean Jacket

Jean jackets can give a very feminine outfit an edge. They look great with girly dresses and skirts, or wear one with pants and a t-shirt for a laid-back look. One thing to be careful about: do not wear a jean jacket with jean pants. The simultaneous clashing and matching of differing denim pieces can be a little bit too much.

8. Denim Romper

Rompers may be a little bit out of the ordinary, but they are fun and fresh! Make this look more creative by putting a long-sleeved colored shirt underneath the romper, and wearing a belt at the hips. Unbutton the romper a bit to show off your shirt and you’re good to go!

9. Overalls

This childhood favorite is coming back into style. People tend to be skeptical of overalls, but give them a chance! They produce a very creative look that’ll make any girl jealous. The key is to find a pair that fits your body type. Add some heels and a tank top to make this classically tom-boyish piece more grown-up and sophisticated.

10. Bodysuit

For those of you brave enough to go all out, try a denim bodysuit! As with the overalls, this look does not need a lot of accessories, and, in fact, is better without the clutter. The bodysuit is a statement piece, so only add a few toned-down basics and don’t forget to wear it with confidence!