‘Bridesmaids’: Hilarious But What’s The Big Deal?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stanford chapter.

Last Tuesday I went to see Judd Apatow’s newest movie “Bridesmaids.” As you may have guessed from the name, this film definitely was not an epic ode to bromance. Starring Kristen Wiig as the quirky Maid of Dis-honor, and Maya Rudolph, who plays the best-friend-turned-Bridezilla, the movie had all the key Apatow features — hilarious sexual innuendo, vague references to alcoholism and vomit. Not going to lie, I laughed. A lot.

But I have to disagree with all the hype about the movie being “revolutionary” for women in comedy and “groundbreaking” for “lady filmmakers” (Really? ‘lady’ filmmakers? What is this, a Kotex ad?)

Don’t get me wrong. I love “I Love You, Man”, “40 Year Old Virgin”, “Knocked Up”, “Pineapple Express”…basically all of Judd’s (yeah we’re on a first name basis) movies are right up my alley. It’s not about the movie style. And it’s not the subject matter—I love “Wedding Crashers”, too! But this movie was definitely not up to par with the rest of Apatow’s repertoire.

Why? Exactly the reason “lady filmmakers” (that phrase is ridiculous) everywhere are cheering. Women are taking starring roles typically played by men, and proving that they, too, can get sloppy drunk, talk about sex and be clueless about the opposite sex. Not necessarily in that order. I’m all for doing any and all of the activities listed above — but this movie is just trying too hard. Who are we kidding? The movie is still about a wedding, and the characters are still whiny women. Oh, and Kristen Wiig’s character is a baker. Not joking.

Bottom line: funny, but still stereotypical. Call me when a ‘lady-comedy’ comes out that doesn’t revolve around a bitchy best friend or the wearing of poufy dresses. Maybe then I’ll let writers get away with labeling it “revolutionary.”