11 Things to Know About Super Bowl XLVI

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stanford chapter.

Let’s face it.  The Stanford Bubble can be isolating.  With so much activity on campus, the news may tend to fall to the wayside –or at least that’s what I cite for my ignorance of the details of Facebook’s IPO and the Republican primary debates.  But, unless you’ve truly been living in a cave, you know that Sunday is Super Bowl XLVI.  But if that’s all you know, I’m here to fill you in to prepare for the showdown.

1. First things first, the New York Giants will take on the New England Patriots.
  2. This is a rematch of 2008 Super Bowl where Giants beat the seemingly unbeatable 18-0 Patriots to crush their hopes of a perfect season.
  3. Expect a lot of offense.  Both teams enter the contest as the lowest-ranked statistical defenses in Super Bowl history. 
  4. Three-time Super Bowl champion Tom Brady and Super Bowl champion Eli Manning each seeks to add another ring to their repertoire.
  5. After enduring a high-ankle sprain in the AFC Championship game against the Ravens and spotted walking with a boot earlier this week, Rob Grownkowsi, Brady’s favorite target, may be limited.
  6. Las Vegas lists the Patriots as a 3-point favorite.
  7. Super Bowl XLVI is being played in Indianapolis, where Eli’s brother Peyton is the marquee QB.  Forced to sit out this season due to neck surgery, his future in Indy is uncertain with the Colts expected to select the likely #1 draft pick Andrew Luck.
  8. The Giants know how to beat the Patriots, not only winning Super Bowl XLII in 2008 but also defeating the Patriots 24-20 at Gillette Stadium this season.
  9. Both Giants and Patriots are hot, coming into the game on win streaks of 5 and 10 games respectively.
  10. Madonna will be this year’s half-time performer.
  11. A win would give Tom Brady 4 Super Bowl wins, tying the NFL record for a starting QB with Terry Bradshaw and Joe Montana.
Allison is the Her Campus Correspondent at Stanford University, majoring in Communication (and maybe Art History!). She is working her way up the magazine ladder in New York City with an editorial internship at InStyle Magazine under her belt.  Originally from Windermere, FL, Allison spends her free time watching football, devouring sweets and online shopping. You can follow her on Twitter at @allisonotis and on Pinterest!